PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
I got this Comoy’s Grand Slam on the estate market a few months ago at a good price (also in my avatar). Liked it at once, but once the wax polish disappeared, three spots began to stand out on the side of the bowl. They sit in a funny triangular pattern and are slightly more matte and black than the bird’s eyes.Does anybody have a good eye for early signs of burnout? I’d really hate it if it were the case. I’d love an opinion.

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Does it taste like death when you are smoking it? Does that part get very hot? Does it look like a charred divit on the inside of the bowl? If yes,it probably a burn out.
Thanks for all the responses. No, taste is fine, and doesn’t heat up at the spots either.
I tried to wipe and scrape the inside with alcohol but didn’t dare go all the way - haven’t done that before. Not sure if the pic says much...

Attachments

• BFF53C33-CA3B-4B13-AA86-9B55010DD571.jpeg
    BFF53C33-CA3B-4B13-AA86-9B55010DD571.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 233
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks for all the responses. No, taste is fine, and doesn’t heat up at the spots either.
I tried to wipe and scrape the inside with alcohol but didn’t dare go all the way - haven’t done that before. Not sure if the pic says much...
does not look too bad, You may wanna consider coating the chamber with honey or something and proceeding further on smoking slow half bowls,I have had chabers looking like this with few of my estates, but try to smoke slow and do not attempt to smoke to the white ash''

Reactions: OlrikFan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It may not be burn-through, but it is a process of some kind that doesn't look good, the finish deteriorating fairly fast. Sorry. Enjoy it, and pitch it when necessary? Or maybe it will remain smokeable, just not so pretty.

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Do you have a picture of it when it first arrived or from the listing? I wonder how they were able to hide it?
No I don‘t, unfortunately. Photos can be tricky anyway. It’s all the lighting and contrast. I’ve had estates that looked risky on the photos but looked OK on arrival.

Most of your answers reassure me to calm down and just enjoy the pipe - and smoke it carefully.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here it is a bit easier to see. I would worry not in the slightest, unless it's a very special or expensive piece. It may last beyond you!

bff53c33-ca3b-4b13-aa86-9b55010dd571-jpeg.6384

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A closer look, it appears that the staining may not actually follow the grain of the wood. Hard to tell with that photo.

I’ve cut into some very old and well smoked wood, and the penetration of tars in a shank I had to cut back was 1/16”.

It may be wicking from the inside out, however due to the distribution of the coloring on the outside, it would appear to me that the stain was absorbed from something it came into contact with. Perhaps ink.

In any case, I wouldn’t sweat it. I don’t think you are in danger of imminent burn out.

I’ve had pipes like that before, and I’ve removed the stain. A little involved process.

Just load it up and smoke it... you’ll be fine.

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
A closer look, it appears that the staining may not actually follow the grain of the wood. Hard to tell with that photo.

I’ve cut into some very old and well smoked wood, and the penetration of tars in a shank I had to cut back was 1/16”.

It may be wicking from the inside out, however due to the distribution of the coloring on the outside, it would appear to me that the stain was absorbed from something it came into contact with. Perhaps ink.
View attachment 6387

In any case, I wouldn’t sweat it. I don’t think you are in danger of imminent burn out.

I’ve had pipes like that before, and I’ve removed the stain. A little involved process.

Just load it up and smoke it... you’ll be fine.

You could be right about that. Three spots close to another is a funny way to burn through. Think I’ll just leave it for the time being. Comoy’s had a lot of factory staining involved and my beginner’s skills could easily go majorly wrong.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Darn- cleaner that some of my pipes. Am I screwing up? I stopped using the reamer them too much and allow them to get a darker even coat. I clean the heck out of them with pipe cleaners. I mean I am using them like they are going out of style at least after a bowl.
Is that a mistake?
I don't have gurgling and I am not getting a ton of cross-taste IMHO though wth do i know?

Status
Not open for further replies.