Is there any Rum in Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (LNF)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
New Cigars
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
From Wikipedia
Navy Flake, Navy cut, Navy tobacco is a Burley leaf pipe tobacco. In colonial times sailors twisted tobacco into a roll and "tied it tightly, often moistening the leaves with rum, molasses, or spice solutions." Stored in this way the flavors melded. To smoke it a slice was cut, known as a "twist" or "curly". Eventually all twisted tobacco, and then pressed tobacco, became known as "Navy" "because of the convenience for sailors and outdoorsmen who favored its compact size "and long-lasting, slow-burning qualities."[1] Navy Flake tobacco is pressed into bricks and sliced into broad flakes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Dear God, now I'm even more confused. You guys are fast researchers! Now I just want to go smoke all my alleged "navy flakes" to see if I can truly detect a rum flavor, or if I was just imagining shit.
Rum or no, it's all wonderful stuff! Just inspired me to break into some MacBaren Plumcake!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, I was going to have a Lat for my after-dinner tonight, but I think we all know that's not gonna happen!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, davet that's where I got my info. Started out with rum, but finally all twists and pressed cakes were called "Navy". Makes sense as those forms were easier to carry on long voyages.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
this is great info thanks and that video in the other thread was a treat. I love how they remind you to turn off your television at the end of the broadcast!
Wishing I had a litte deeper cellar and could pull out a little something relevant for after dinner myself!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I do like the added rum, tried infusing some P.S Luxury Navy Flake with some Captain Morgan Black Rum, turned out pretty good. The video makes me want to try that sometime, very interesting

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Some "piratey" music for all the rum smoking gents.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJ7uOK4nYg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
smokingpipes.com doesn't list rum as a component in Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, and I don't taste it in there, so I'll vote no.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
One drop would count as being an added ingredient, sooo.....
I rarely if ever taste any booze in such blends although I often can detect it in the tin note. I also believe that rum is the key flavor note added to anything designated as Navy cut but also think that the twist or flake form of the tobacco is more importantly the reason the moniker was arrived at. It's portability is paramount for outdoors type pipe smokers. Imagine standing on the deck of a tall sailing vessel with a 15 knot wind in your face, hauling line while clenching a pipe full of ribbon cut or shag cut? It wouldn't be a very cool or long smoke that's for sure.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Had a family event this weekend. I brought out a fresh tin of black frigate for people to smell once I popped the tin. I think a few people got sick. To this day I love to smell the tin because I think it is extremely interesting that a tin note can smell so vulgar yet provide such a great tasty smoke. to this day the tin nite of black frigate still turns my stomach a bit, but it's also my most pleasant, enjoyable smoke.
LNF is just a vaper to me. I don't detect rum in it either.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now I really don't know (not a unique situation). smokingpipes.com does not mention rum in the blend, but PC says in their paper catalog that rum is a flavoring. I don't taste any, but who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.