Is there any other woman pipe-smoker out there?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverchaopraya

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2011
I just took up pipe smoking about 2 months ago and don't really have a community here in Thailand. I suspect I'm the only woman pipe smoker here in the country, if not the only pipe smoker at all. My aunt said to me that women don't smoke pipe (like it's a fact of nature) but I'm familiar with the image of the Dowager Empress of the last Ching Dynasty of old imperial China, smoking the most exquisite pipe (though I suspect it might be opium and not Peterson's Irish Oak that she put in that gorgeous long-stem, Churchwarden styled pipe.) I also recall the image of a woman French writer George Sand smoking pipe. So, maybe it's a mis-perception that women don't smoke pipe, but a pervasive one. I just want to prove to myself and to her that women can and do enjoy good tobacco like anyone else. There are but a few exquisite pleasures in life, it would be unwise to miss out on one just because you're a woman. So just want to say hi to all the women out there. Please make yourself known, for the generations of women pipe-smokers to come. River.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
hi, riverchaopraya, mountain women here in the states years ago smoked pipes. more women today would but are tought its not lady like. alot of women in the old countrys

use to smoke pipes.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Aloha to you, River....You are certainly welcome here on the forum....If you are looking for other female pipe smokers, just check out the section titled Pipe Babes. Otherwise, simply get comfortable here and feel free to join in whenever you feel like posting.... :D

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
I think it's great you smoke a pipe. Just don't mention your sunny weather and beaches in Thailand.. I'd look out the window and get soooo depressed. ;)

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I have seen several woman that smoke a pipe on this and other forums I would say its a much smaller group but there out there

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Just off the top of my head, there are a few female members I can think of:
Just signed up yesterday:

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/ladysmokesapipe/
(Ignore the avatar picture. That is an auto-generated one by the site.)
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chelseamorning
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/reddazes/
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/margova
There are at least 2 - 3 others that are members, but I couldn't remember their names.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Hope to see you here often. Don't forget that we are here to help and answer any questions you may have.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Welcome! Yes, there are female pipe smokers in the world. I personally know two of them. Don't worry about what other people think and simply enjoy the fact that you have found something that brings you pleasure and relaxation.

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
Hello River, and welcome. There are other women who smoke pipes, in fact I once read a story in another pipe publication (sorry Kevin), about Jerry Lee Lewis and his daughter and how they both enjoy pipe smoking. You are not alone!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The more the merrier. I have yet to encounter a female pipe smoker in real life. Welcome :).

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
I keep trying to get my wife to join me... She'll sample the different blends, but she likes the room note more than the taste. Be welcome, and proud to be a rare bird.
Simon

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
My wife has two basket pipes that she smokes with me from time to time but only when the weather is warm enough. This is only for three months a year. So feel confident that you aren't alone, and feel free to ask us any questions you have.
-Jason

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
One of the people who inspired me to smoke a pipe was a great aunt of mine. From age 15 to age 97 she smoked cob with Plowboy.

riverchaopraya

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2011
Thank you guys. You're wonderful. I'm really enjoying the new hobby. Sampling many tobaccos and trying out new pipes. Trying to find my own pipe-personality, that is to say, trying to find what I like best. I think I like Davidoff Royalty and Peterson's Irish Oak very much, and I like Churchwarden pipes (it's the Sherlock Holmes thing). Thanks, Chero, hilojohnny, Briar Bully, Chlogeo3, Unclearthur, jship079, Kevin, tanless1, Puffintuff, krgulick, pipetrucker, caliguy, juni, classicgeek, lordnoble. I think starting pipe smoking nowadays is so much easier than before, because one can always find community, like you guys, to support, not to mention the array online shops ( I could never have survived on supermarket tobacco-blends available here). Location and gender can be transcended; and you can ask yourself what you like, what defines you, and not be pre-determined by your gender or physical location. Cheers to the internet and social media. Happy New Year to you all. River.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Welcome River!
Like everyone said; if you enjoy smoking pipes do it. Life is about enjoying YOURSELF and not about doing or not doing what other people say that you should or should not do.
There are a few women pipe smokers that are members here, they just don't post very often. Of course the amount of women pipes smokers are heavily outnumbered by the amount of men pipe smokers, but that could just be due to social behaviors where a lot of people don't think women should smoke pipes. Heck, even younger men have to deal with the misconception that only old men smoke pipes.
Bottom line is to enjoy yourself and pipe smoking is very enjoyable!

Status
Not open for further replies.