Is There a Bulk Alternative to Mac Baren's Three Nuns?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Yeah, yeah. I know. 'Three Nuns without Perique ain't Three Nuns'. Yeah, yeah. I know. 'If you like it just pay the $16+ per tin for it'. Yeah, yeah. I know. 'Boycotting Mac Baren in the hopes they'll lower their prices is pointless'. Yeah, yeah. Blah, blah. I know.
Now that that's out of the way; Do any of you know a great bulk alternative to this? C&Ds Three Friars is the obvious first try but it doesn't do anything for me. All help appreciated.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Here you go!
https://m.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Newminster/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=102423

I prefer the Newminster Superior Round Slices over Three Nuns. The Nuns is cloying and coats my throat too much for my liking. The SRS is less earthy cloying, but with that same flavor. I could care less about old Three Nuns compared to the new, because I'll probably never find a tin of the old, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to stock up on it. SRS is good stuff though.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
Newminster No. 403 Superior Round Slices: good to know. I have been searching for a substitute for modern Three Nuns myself. GH Curly Cut has been recommended to me as a replacement as well...

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I've had, and like, the 403 but I find it to be quite a bit different than Three Nuns. It has a bit more of a 'stewed' flavor whereas 3N has more of a crisp, fresh-cut Virginia type flavor profile; like a very fine RYO tobacco but without the staleness or the cigarette-y qualities you usually find with RYO...if that makes any sense. The Cabbies' rec is real close but not available in bulk (though it is significantly cheaper than 3N!...when you can find it).
Keep 'em coming please!

I honestly don't think I could get any closer. Unless you like that cloying, coating feeling that SRS doesn't have. I don't seem to be getting the same flavor from the Three Nuns that you do. Maybe you could try them and let us know which one you think is closer. To me, it is dead on. But, tastes are different for everyone apparently. Good luck.

You might also try Solani Silver Flake. To me it is not the same, but the ingredients are there. The casings may be way different though.
Why try to find something that taste just like something else? Why not just find something that you like just as much? Just my armchair psychobabble, ha ha.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
That's exactly what I'm looking for Cos; a similar blend that I like as much. It just seems that the 'similar' part is being difficult.
I'm wondering if we're talking about two different versions of 3 Nuns here. Production has passed through a few different facilities over the past many years. Maybe that accounts for our different tastes of it?

cdmjr

Lurker
Feb 26, 2019
According to reviewers at tobaccoreviews.com, Three Friars is NOT very much like Three Nuns Orange, or any other TN blend. I almost don't want to believe them. They're right about 95% of the time.
Shame too. Love all the TN's but buying by the tin is a royal pain-in-the-pipe.
CDM Jr.

https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/389/cornell-diehl-three-friars

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't know how the legend of Three Friars is like Three Nuns got started, but it's untrue. People were saying that even when Three Nuns had perique in it. There are couple of similar notes, but that doesn't make a match of any kind in my eyes or to my taste buds.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I agree with the legend. I also personally hated 403. Perhaps the GH curlies are worth a shot though.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
How about the Savinelli Doblone D'Oro?. I have not smoked this blend (it's on my list, along with Brunello Flake), but I believe it might be closer to what you're looking for. It is not a bulk blend, but you can cop a 100g tin for a buck or two more than a 50g Three Nuns tin. Also made by MacBaren.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Savinelli Doblone D'Oro is not sold in bulk, but it's the closest thing to the VaPer Three Nuns I have ever tried. It usually sells for around $19.95 for a 100 grams, depending on where you buy it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I would suggest trying more of Mac Baren roll cuts. Not sold in bulk but you can get them by the pound. Maybe try Dark Twist & Roll Cake?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Man, I love Roll Cake, Dark Twist, and Club, and I can't stand 3 nuns. Tastes like a cigarette butt. I get the similarity in production and ingredients etc, but to my taster, 3 nuns is just bad, and the roll cakes family is superb. Whaddya do??

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I asked a similar question in 2013-ish because I liked the flavour of 3 nuns but not the harshness, and got the same recommendation of the Newminster 403 from Cosmic. Its a great substitute and I knew I would never buy three nuns again after smoking it.
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.