PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
By the light of the silvered moon, I’m searching for a Lee on my deck table. A beautiful 5 point star era Rhodesian Three Star comes to hand, and then I have to find something to make it smoke.

There, sits a one pound tub of Anniversary Kake to fill my Three Star.

I buy tobacco to fill my pipes.

Do you buy pipes to smoke tobacco?

Which is it?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Rather absurd question, don't you think? I don't eat steak because I bought a knife. I don't buy a car because I bought gas. I don't take a dump because I purchased toilet paper. I don't have sex just because I bought a condom.
I buy shotgun shells to play with my shotguns. They aren’t much fun otherwise.:)

I grew up with a lot of old men who smoked Prince Albert, Velvet, and Half and Half. Their pipe replaced cigarette papers.

I enjoy a whole bunch of pipes.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Some days I choose the pipe first and then decide what to smoke in it. For example, I've got a Medico straight bulldog that I haven't smoked in a while, so I'll choose a blend to go with it, probably Oak Alley. Other days I'll feel like something smoky or something sweet, then I'll grab a pipe to match.

Reactions: telescopes

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It’s been nearly thirty years ago, another old lawyer here in the county smoked a huge Danish freehand, his new lawyer wife bought him.

At that time I primarily smoked cigarettes but also a pipe.

I asked Ralph what tobaccos he liked and he said he didn’t really know, his new young wife bought his tobacco at Columbia at a pipe shop, because she liked the smell of it. It tasted like peaches.

He asked what I smoked and I said unfiltered American Spirts, but at home I had a lot of pipes. He said you ought to quit those cigarettes, and smoke a pipe instead, like I did after I got married again.

About that time his young wife clicked her high heels up the stairs and Ralph smiled and she took his pipe out of his teeth and puffed it, and asked how do you smoke these things? They smell wonderful, but don’t taste good like my Virginia Slims.

Ralph said you look better smoking my pipe than I would wearing your shoes.:)

Ralph used a pipe to get off cigarettes, traded one smoking habit for one his new wife thought was better for him and made him look more distinguished.

I went back to my office, an a certain client I had that smoked Borkum Riff Cherry was there, I could tell when I walked in. My secretaries at the time, loved to see him come in.

He had a pouch of Borkum Riff Cherry he gave me, and said try smoking this in your office. His wife said, your wife will love the smell of it.

That day was when I started trading a bad smoking habit for a good smoking habit.

If you smoke in public, people see a man smoking a pipe.

They don’t know or care about what you are smoking in that pipe so long as it smells good.

I have pipes handy in every vehicle I own and at the office and my home, and campers at the farm.

Invariably I select a pipe first, then wonder which blend I’ll fill it with.

If there’s other people around, I choose a candy flavored cavendish, which one hardly matters.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I buy shotgun shells to play with my shotguns. They aren’t much fun otherwise.:)

I grew up with a lot of old men who smoked Prince Albert, Velvet, and Half and Half. Their pipe replaced cigarette papers.

I enjoy a whole bunch of pipes.
That may be but your analogy is terribly flawed. Did you buy a shotgun because you had shells?