PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter Moon

Lurker
Jan 14, 2022
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi everyone
Back in the early 70’s, my dad used to smoke a rosewood root pipe that he loved. But I could not find any pipe made with this particular wood to sell, as long as I have searched for it.
I read somewhere they’re not fabricated anymore, because rosewood fumes are supposed to be toxic, is that right?
Best
Peter
São Paulo Brazil

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Rosewood is a generic reference to a Genus of trees. There are many, many types of rosewood and found all over the world. Some types, such as Cocobolo rosewood found in Central America can produce oils and such that can produce extreme allergic reactions. I do not know where exactly the allergens are found, but if you inhale wood dust (from sanding) that would be very dangerous if you were allergic. I imagine, but not sure, if you inhale volatilized oil (Colobolo is very oily) that might be even worse. I nearly got myself a trip to the hospital working with Cocobolo building a guitar. So, I know first hand it is not to be trifled with.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Great for guitar fingerboards, not so much for pipes...

I don't know if the root of Rosewood has different characteristics than the lumber. In some cases plants have root systems that are edible, or non toxic. Jicama comes to mind.

But from what I have read, Rosewood the lumber is toxic because of the resins in the wood.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well if you look at exotic materials (so called) they're pretty rare. it just doesn't seem like there is much demand even for things like bog oak or strawberry wood, olive wood, pear wood or anything like that. So best bet might be contacting carvers and seeing if any of them know anything. Forums for carving might be a good place to ask around.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are quite a few species of "rosewoods". Some with more toxicity than others

I would be concerned with the effect of heating the bowl and releasing volatile wood oils.
Then there is the problem of inhaling extremely fine wood particles if you're working with it.

I'd stick with briar.

If you want something different there's olive, cherry, strawberry, manzanita, birch, pear and apple woods. And of course morta and meerschaum.
Plenty to choose from, and all tried and true.

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
maybe depends on the individual. I spent my life working in a very large wood shop. Some employees were allergic to certain woods,white birch for instance,but most employees were not affected by any . The allergy reaction came from inhaling the dust of a particular wood.

Reactions: OzPiper

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
There are quite a few species of "rosewoods". Some with more toxicity than others

I would be concerned with the effect of heating the bowl and releasing volatile wood oils.
Then there is the problem of inhaling extremely fine wood particles if you're working with it.

I'd stick with briar.

If you want something different there's olive, cherry, strawberry, manzanita, birch, pear and apple woods. And of course morta and meerschaum.
Plenty to choose from, and all tried and true.
Most of the Chinese vendor i saw, sell Rosewood and Ebony wood pipes. I searched about Rosewood and Ebony wood before. Not dare to try Rosewood, coz we don't know what kind of Rosewood they used. Unless we know the vendor or the maker very well. And, I wonder, can a real Ebony wood sold at such a low price? Coz I heard that Ebony woods are rare to find and they are expensive.

Reactions: FLDRD

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Hopefully to provide clarity. Toxic typically means "poisonous." As far as I know, rosewood is not toxic. Some rosewoods produce allergens. Allergic reactions are not from being poisoned, they are a reaction of one's immune system to an allergen, a foreign material, like a foreign protein. Peanut allergies will produce an allergic reaction if you eat peanuts and you are allergic to peanuts. There is no poison in peanuts, but the allergic reaction can kill you from the inflammation that the allergic reaction causes. Same with some rosewood. If you inhale wood dust of some species, that can produce an allergic reaction that causes inflammation and constricts your breathing apparatus. Not good.

Rosewood furniture, as long as you don't sand it, breath in the wood dust, or eat it (goodness) can't hurt you because it has no way of getting in your system and produce a reaction. Since furniture is typically provided with a finish, you don't even really touch it. Lots of plants do make toxins, but as far as I know, the wood products from rosewood species don't have toxins. That's why we use the stuff to make things.

Having said that I wouldn't smoke a pipe of rosewood, because I don't know what burning the stuff might release. I am aware that burning poison ivy is a very bad idea. That is what I think about when I hear of rosewood pipes.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have several guitars with backs and sides made of either Indian Rosewood or Brazilian Rosewood. I also have a fife or 2 made out of the stuff. I have never even thought of it used as pipe wood. Interesting. puffy
You're using "as is" rather than setting something afire in it with the potential of releasing volatile oils.

Reactions: sandollars
You're using "as is" rather than setting something afire in it with the potential of releasing volatile oils.
My guitars sure smell good though... :) Even the ones old enough to be made out of Brazilian still smell sweet like Rosewood.

It is illegal to harvest Brazilian Rosewood nowadays unless you are Brazilian and make your product in Brazil but it used to be the pinnacle of tone-wood. A Brazilian back and sided guitar with a Cedar or Spruce top, Ebony fret board, and Mahogany neck was what all the primo Classical Guitar Luthiers used. Nowadays, it's Indian Rosewood which is straight grained and consequently loses a lot of nuance in the tones but still very nice sounds.