PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That’s the right attitude. Remember when you used to go to a men’s clothing store, and the tailor would measure your inseam? It felt a little more intimate than one would like while shopping.

Well, the modern internet is that tailor, but he’s not nearly as polite. And he doesn’t ask first.
Yup.

The most insecure sites are the ones claiming to take your security and privacy most seriously and to offer you the most safety and security controls.

You know which players I'm talking about: Fakebook, S'witter, Instasham, Amasux, Poogle, crApple, and others. They know everything about you and don't blink to sell your data to the highest bidder or use it to profile you. They also have your bank information too. Worrying about an online forum where no e-commerce is conducted is a non-issue when pitted against the major online vampires.

Reactions: gamzultovah

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I operate as if anyone can see anything I post."

Simmerdown, as I said, I wasn't the least bit concerned about my posts, more concerned about some bumhole accessing my devices for nefarious purposes.

Regards,

Jay.?

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
"I operate as if anyone can see anything I post."

Simmerdown, as I said, I wasn't the least bit concerned about my posts, more concerned about some bumhole accessing my devices for nefarious purposes.

Regards,

Jay.?
There is no real safety - nowhere.
You can delete all cookies, the next time you go online you got them again.

Reactions: kurtbob
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks Kevin for the reassurance. It's not that I was worried about anything I post, I was more concerned that I might be leaving myself or rather my devices open to nefarious people whenever I was logged in.

Regards,

Jay.?

When you are connected to the internet, you open your devices to nefarious people. Make certain you have good anti virus and malware software. Most people are their own worst enemies by opening questionable files and clicking on the wrong links.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Even if incorrect I always back out of sites that the system warns me about. I have a Mac and have had excellent luck for 4 years running without the expensive anti-virus/malware/etc., etc.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Even if incorrect I always back out of sites that the system warns me about. I have a Mac and have had excellent luck for 4 years running without the expensive anti-virus/malware/etc., etc.
Macs can get malware too. More dangerous is spyware, which they can also get, in addition to the one that comes from Apple itself.

Still, when I worked as a bench technician, most of the machines that came messed up with malware got infected by the users themselves reacting to ads or legitimate-looking pop-ups "warning them" about their computers being infected with viruses (when they weren't) and they diligently and dumbly clicking on the "Fix Now" buttons on said ads/pop-ups (and then were their systems infected).

Status
Not open for further replies.