PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Just a few observations. Pipe smoking in my area is going up slowly but surely. I believe part of the reason is forums such as this one, as many more people use the internet and it makes it easier to learn the craft. Many years ago I read a book by Alfred Dunhill but won't quote him exactly, rather I will paraphrase what stuck in mind. He said when somone takes up a hobby they find out everything there is to know about the sporting arms, golf clubs, bowling balls as the case may be. They find out about the rules, accessories and have the support of friends and books on the subject. With the pipe they consider the depth of their pocket book, then choose a pipe that they like the looks of and a tobacco that smells good. They head home, stuff tobacco in it and puff like mad to keep it lit. The next day they have a roaring case of hamburger tongue and the pipe smells like burned pine wood. Very often that's the end of their pipe smoking. He also noted that people who started out with a pipe or only smoked cigars tended to become pipe smokers permanently while cigarette smokers had much more trouble adjusting. In the later days the motivation seems cigarettes are too expensive. I'll encourage them to switch to the pipe and provide some advice. At the same time if they have never smoked I don't advise them unless they have already made up their mind and do understand the there is a health risk, no matter how small.

crispy

Lurker
Aug 1, 2012
clyde you hit the nail on the head for me. I got browsing the internet recently and learned what I was doing wrong when I was younger and given that my cigs are now $11.15/pack I decided to come back to the pipe. You're absolutely right that the ability to share the fine details of the hobby are encouraging more people to stick with it. At the moment I am the only pipe smoker I know of in my area, so if not for the internet where would I learn?
I also believe that like everything else, pipe smoking went from wildly popular, fizzled out, and now people are starting to think "hey I never see that anymore" and so it's making its comeback. It's cyclical, and if we're lucky another stretch of golden years lies ahead, 'cause I'm really starting to enjoy this hobby. :puffpipe:

bob1

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
This reply is from a tobacco store manager in New Hampshire:
"Pipes and pipe tobacco are starting to get more and more popular again."

wolfie90

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2012
Huntington wv
I didnt think pipe smoking was big in my area at all. I felt this because even in the tobacco stores you never saw much if any pipe tobacco and ive yet to see any pipes for sale in person. But then one day i walk into a rite aid and to my surprise theres several containers of diffrent tobacco and dr grabow pipes!!!!

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I also wonder how pipe smoking is doing in europe?
Lazydog: Europe looks about the same as the U.S. as far as volume sales are concerned, with a 4-6% decline each year. The U.S. is the biggest pipe tobacco market in the world, with Germany a distant second. After that: France, UK, Denmark, Switzerland, Italy, Spain (Euromonitor 2011 rankings). South Africa is not in the reports, but I've heard they consume a large amount of pipe tobacco as well.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Here in New Orleans, I've seen quite a few pipe smokers--mostly an older demographic but I've seen quite a few 20 and 30-somethings enjoying the briar. I have no hard numbers, only what I've observed. All I know is that it delights me every time I see a fellow brother or sister of the briar. We usually stop, talk pipes, talk tobaccos, wish a fare-thee-well and leave with smiles on our faces, knowing we're not alone in a world so dead set on being pains in our asses.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Thanx for Eurostats LW. I would imagine high prices for baccy in Euro add to the decline. I know they were sky high even in the 70s.

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
When I first came to the briar in the 1970s, there were tobacconists within a couple miles of my home, and I knew folks at college who smoked a pipe, as well as "grown-ups" who were pipe smokers.
Over the past 30 years, there's been a steady falloff in pipe smoking. The statistics don't lie: The amount of pipe tobacco made, the number of pipes made, there was a falloff. In fact, in the mid-90s, the cigar boom pushed a lot of pipes to the side for very profitable cigars.
I think the tobacco tax has helped us. It is less expensive to smoke a pipe than a premium cigar now. Young people who would have been attracted to a cigar are now coming to the pipe.
The question is ... have we hit the bottom and are growing again, or is this a temporary spike?
Smoke in peace, folks.

madhatter

Lurker
Aug 5, 2012
I visited a nice shop in Nashville today while I was on a business trip. A guy ithat may have been 20 walked in and asked for a job. They asked if he smoked pipes and he answered cigars. It made me feel food to be part of the pipe world. Another young guy was smoking a pipe and playing chess. I bought a estate Spanu two knuckle pope and some exhausted rooster and enjoyed a nice drive home. In other words yes I think it's growing.

May 8, 2012
I believe that the state of pipe and 'tobacco tins' selling on ebay is a testament to the growth. In the past 12 years, prices have grown exponentially. I feel things are alive and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.