PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
When I'm smoking a pipe and my friends smoke their cigarettes, I sometimes ask them, how would it feel to smoke a pipe. They usually say they lack time and interest. Recently though, after watching me smoking pipe after pipe for some years, one of them asked, where could he get a pipe for himself. I had one extra MM corn cob, which I gifted him. The point in this very insignificant story is that I think there still remains some hope.

And of course, as said, we never know what will be trendy in future...

For my part, I'm going to smoke pipes, and if asked, tell about the joy of smoking them.

Reactions: FLDRD and Browny

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I started pipe smoking this past year. So there is a new wave of folks, small of course. I do hope a sub-culture large enough to carry some tobacco and pipe production continues. I got two friends started since I started, I will continue to try to pass it on!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I started pipe smoking this past year. So there is a new wave of folks, small of course. I do hope a sub-culture large enough to carry some tobacco and pipe production continues. I got two friends started since I started, I will continue to try to pass it on!
after seeing your beautiful estate pipes represented here i thought you were lifelong pipe smoker

Reactions: Ben.R.C

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
@Zamora I probably find enough cig butts while litter picking to fill my pipe a million times...
(I wouldn't but it's a figure of speech). Worst areas for them are around pub doorways.
Now anti smoking ads are blaming Big Tobacco for the litter and pollution butts cause. Funny, I remember when those same groups claimed cigars and pipes were worse than cigs because they don't have a filter (never mind pipes do have optional filters).
Yeah and honestly I don't want it to become a mainstream trend like the Cigar Boom of the 90s. The cigar industry was able to recover from the Boom but I don't know that pipes would be. I'm with you, as long as enough people are into it for the industry to stay profitable I'll be happy.
after seeing your beautiful estate pipes represented here i thought you were lifelong pipe smoker
So did I. Clearly he does his homework before buying

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Member Les Young shared this article on a Facebook page. I had not see this previously, nor a study completed in the modern era.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Member Les Young shared this article on a Facebook page. I had not see this previously, nor a study completed in the modern era.

1095 deaths attributable to pipe smoking in 1991 but 830 in 1965. Given the 12% drop in pipe smoking over those years, something doesn't add up. Still good odds though.

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
It will for the most part end when the last of the pipe tobacco blending houses see it as not profitable to stay in business and many factors can determine their demise. I suppose there will always be home blenders using whole leaf tobacco making up their own blends to smoke in a pipe though.

Reactions: Browny

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I smoke my pipe everywhere, every day and I seldom get a second glance. When I do, it’s to say I remind they of their grandfather. They drift off in fond memories. I have never had a negative comment.

Reactions: Browny