PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
As long as it's still legal to do and for those willing to put the effort into it. Nearly all production tobacco is cased to make it more palatable. I enjoy smoking untreated twists, but many find raw tobacco too harsh to smoke.
I'm talking extreme times, if factory tobacco and pipes ever faded out of existence one day, there will always be someone out there whittling and carving a pipe and stuffing it with something to smoke.

Reactions: JOHN72

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
These people didn't smoke pipes. Now they're all six feet under.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the precipitous rise of the estate pipe market is highly encouraging. Until maybe 15 years ago, this was entirely met with the icky factor. Who'd want to suck on someone's old pipe. Now, reason and reasonable sanitizing have prevailed. Those pipes have been dug out of attics and storage lockers and get passed along at tremendous savings both as smokers and as restoration projects for many.

A high school buddy of mine, a friend who used to collaborate on film making with me and also was a partner in excursions camping in Michigan and car camping from Chicago to Florida in his family's trusty Rambler American station wagon which we cranked up well past the speed limit, started with used pipes years ago.

He may not still smoke pipes, but I don't think he ever bought one new. He's retired in Hawaii now, after a long career as a designer and art director at the Chicago Board of Trade. So he still knows something about futures -- in commodities and pipes. We're still in touch. He does some wild and scary still photos of Hawaii, what you might call the dark side of paradise.

Reactions: Zamora

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
As long as it's still legal to do and for those willing to put the effort into it. Nearly all production tobacco is cased to make it more palatable. I enjoy smoking untreated twists, but many find raw tobacco too harsh to smoke.
I think DIY casings and toppings will probably grow in popularity as more and more jurisdictions enact blanket bans on flavored tobacco.
Engine 382 and Sutliff TS24.
Thanks, I'll have to put them on my to try list.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I think the precipitous rise of the estate pipe market is highly encouraging. Until maybe 15 years ago, this was entirely met with the icky factor. Who'd want to suck on someone's old pipe. Now, reason and reasonable sanitizing have prevailed. Those pipes have been dug out of attics and storage lockers and get passed along at tremendous savings both as smokers and as restoration projects for many.

A high school buddy of mine, a friend who used to collaborate on film making with me and also was a partner in excursions camping in Michigan and car camping from Chicago to Florida in his family's trusty Rambler American station wagon which we cranked up well past the speed limit, started with used pipes years ago.

He may not still smoke pipes, but I don't think he ever bought one new. He's retired in Hawaii now, after a long career as a designer and art director at the Chicago Board of Trade. So he still knows something about futures -- in commodities and pipes. We're still in touch. He does some wild and scary still photos of Hawaii, what you might call the dark side of paradise.
Absolutely, the rise in the estate market is a very healthy sign. I own four full sized pipes currently and two of them are estates. Even a lot of antique stores have fully restored estate pipes. The savings are an obvious benefit but I also love the thought of owning pipes that had been at least one other person's companion until passing on to me.

I recently read an article about Harlon Ellison's pipe smoking and it noted that he always bought estates and that he was friends with one of the estate market's earliest dealers. His collection was absolutely massive because fans regularly gifted them even long after he gave up tobacco, it's fascinating to think several of his pipes probably ended up back on the estate market. Shelby Foote also had a large collection thanks to fans sending him pipes, though I'm not sure whether he preferred buying new or estate. Moral of the story: if you want a large pipe collection become a successful writer.

Reactions: DeerparkDays

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I can't remember where I heard this, but on a podcast a few years ago someone commented that more people in the world now smoke cigarettes than at any other time in history. I found this hard to believe, but maybe that's because I'm an American and people in America have been shamed into smoking in secret. (I don't and won't smoke cigarettes, but I think it's awful how cigarette smokers are treated here.) Maybe cigarettes are way more popular abroad than I realize? Also, when I go to my local gas station, lots of times the cigarette shelves don't seem fully stocked. Lots of empty spaces. That leads me to believe there are still lots of smokers incognito.

Reactions: Zamora

TheIdahoan

Lurker
Jan 7, 2023
Southeast Idaho
I'm sure it is, but it probably won't disappear unless government forces it.

The LOTR movies/books will keep it alive, but it will not be popular. Here's why I say that:

Smoking in the US (I don't know about OCONUS) is basically banned. During work you get 10-15 minute breaks to quickly head outside and get your nicotine hit. For that cigarettes (and now vapes) reign supreme. People don't have time or patience to load up a pipe, deal with relights and tamps. And why would they?

A flip of a top, a flick of a bic, and a nic hit is delivered in 1/4 of the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think experienced pipe smokers could easily use smoke breaks catching several intermittent smokes off the same chamber full of a blend, tamping the bowl out between breaks.

I've always used breaks to walk, but that's just my habit, maybe a little hyperactivity. I smoke when I have a longer time to enjoy it.

Wow, this thread has some long legs. Thank you for all the comments and discussion. Hey, don't quit here.

TheIdahoan

Lurker
Jan 7, 2023
Southeast Idaho
I think experienced pipe smokers could easily use smoke breaks catching several intermittent smokes off the same chamber full of a blend, tamping the bowl out between breaks.

I've always used breaks to walk, but that's just my habit, maybe a little hyperactivity. I smoke when I have a longer time to enjoy it.

Wow, this thread has some long legs. Thank you for all the comments and discussion. Hey, don't quit here.
Yes that's what I do as well. Or bring a small cob that's pre-loaded before I start work.

I see less cigarette and more vapers than anything, even in a shop that allows smoking.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
Well here in Italy there's not much people smoking a pipe in public, but recently a tobacconist in a supermarket in Milan told me that the consumption of pipe tobacco and cigars is increasing, so there is still hope...
Italy has so many pipe makers so I'm not surprised it's doing alright there. seeing people smoke in public isn't really a good indicator. I know tons of cigar smokers, yet I rarely see strangers smoke them out and about. I probably see people smoke pipes in public more often than cigars, still not very common. Pipes and cigars I think just take too long for many people to be willing to go around smoking them
I can't remember where I heard this, but on a podcast a few years ago someone commented that more people in the world now smoke cigarettes than at any other time in history. I found this hard to believe, but maybe that's because I'm an American and people in America have been shamed into smoking in secret. (I don't and won't smoke cigarettes, but I think it's awful how cigarette smokers are treated here.) Maybe cigarettes are way more popular abroad than I realize? Also, when I go to my local gas station, lots of times the cigarette shelves don't seem fully stocked. Lots of empty spaces. That leads me to believe there are still lots of smokers incognito.
There's also a lot more people alive than ever, so that might be part of it. On the other hand I know Big Tobacco has started focusing on non-Western markets to make up for their loss in sales from Europe and America. Most cigarette smokers I know are very low key about it, even closeted.
Yes that's what I do as well. Or bring a small cob that's pre-loaded before I start work.

I see less cigarette and more vapers than anything, even in a shop that allows smoking.
Yeah I still see cigs often but vapes far moreso. I welcome that change, cigarette smoke gives me an instant headache just walking by it so I'd much rather just smell watermelon or strawberry.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Italy has so many pipe makers so I'm not surprised it's doing alright there. seeing people smoke in public isn't really a good indicator. I know tons of cigar smokers, yet I rarely see strangers smoke them out and about. I probably see people smoke pipes in public more often than cigars, still not very common. Pipes and cigars I think just take too long for many people to be willing to go around smoking them

There's also a lot more people alive than ever, so that might be part of it. On the other hand I know Big Tobacco has started focusing on non-Western markets to make up for their loss in sales from Europe and America. Most cigarette smokers I know are very low key about it, even closeted.

Yeah I still see cigs often but vapes far moreso. I welcome that change, cigarette smoke gives me an instant headache just walking by it so I'd much rather just smell watermelon or strawberry.
@Zamora I'm always finding disposable vapes while litter picking; I really hate them!