Is LJ Peretti No Name Considered a Lakeland?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Well, well, well, I think I may officially be an Old Codger. As I have posted previously, I have decided to smoke only Lj Peretti since Nov. 1st to decide which blends I like. I just smoked some No Name (listed as a Burley-Virginia blend) in a '72 Dunhill Apple. Prior to lighting it up, I could detect the floral/soapy smell and thought to myself "this was not going to be good".

I have read that that type of smell is common in Lakelands and how Lakelands ghost your pipe and are an Old School type of tobacco. I must say, I liked it. The smell was nice to me; the mouth taste (both during and after) was pleasant. It was a nice mild smoke. That immediately got me to thinking, Is this what people are talking about when they talk about a Lakeland style of pipe tobacco. If so, it might be the first burley blend I am liking. I plan to smoke it a few more times to confirm what my taste buds are telling me at this moment.

With that being said, would the forum consider LJ Peretti No Name burley blend a Lakeland? If so, will it ghost my pipe if I start smoking it on a regular basis and should I devote a couple of my pipes to just this blend? Opinions appreciated.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Maybe a Lakeland style blend.

Personally, I devote a pipe to one blend if I find out that blend just sings to me in that pipe. I do maintain distinct rotations for certain types of blends - I don't want to smoke lat blends in the same pipes in which I smoke some very subtle tasting Virginias. This is one of those subjective things that is very much dependent on the smoker.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I do see what people are referring to as the soapy mouth taste as a lingering taste. I had that today, but it wasn't unpleasant. I will be trying this one again in one of my older Dunhill Bent Billiards that I got from GB. I think that pipe was a Lakeland pipe because it had an interesting odor to it. I cleaned it out using both the salt method and the coffee grounds method. Seemed to neutralize the odor, but if I'm going to smoke No Name, I might as well see if it likes this pipe and dedicate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.