PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
1st, see this G.L. Lagonda Pease Review
Now, is Lagonda sweet, at first thought yes, but then Greg Says No (Maybe just tart/tangy) But then the tin says it IS sweet.
What do you think? I feel like there definitely is a sweet undertone, beneath everything else, that will creep up to the surface from time to time while smoking.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I don't get any sweetness from it myself. I participated in a group review of Lagonda over on puff.com and I can find only one mention of sweetness in any of the reviews, but it could be a chemistry type thing, where some people experience a sweet quality.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Don't know....

But, it can't be all bad if "there is an attractive mix of reddish-browns, brunette, and a sprinkling of blondes. :D

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
It's there, but subtle, and comes and goes throughout. A great smoke though, which deserves some respect to light packing.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
But, it can't be all bad if "there is an attractive mix of reddish-browns, brunette, and a sprinkling of blondes. [:D]
Here Here! thats sounds like a good time to me

Jul 15, 2011
But, it can't be all bad if "there is an attractive mix of reddish-browns, brunette, and a sprinkling of blondes
Sounds like a weekend I had in Vegas a couple of years ago. 8O

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@undecagon
As to sweetness, the tin reads in part ... "with a bit of bright added for a hint of subtle sweetness". A hint of subtle sweetness is not the same thing as "sweet".
In my review I picked up a little bit of sweetness on the first bowl, but then corrected myself after subsequent bowls that it was tangy and tart, more like a Jolly Rancher candy ... but this is probably just somewhat semantics.
@brewshooter

...I participated in a group review of Lagonda over on puff.com...
They liked the photo of the tin I shot so much that they decided to use it on their site. And why bother to even upload it to their own server when they can just hotlink it from mine.
puff-hotlink-lagonda.gif

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Kevin, you're right, I guess I didn't look close enough at the picture to realize it was the same shot!!! Nick normally includes a shot of the tobacco flakes unpackaged as well, but since this was the first of the monthly reviews, and he was taking over for the banned member who started the project, he probably just went out and grabbed the BEST image he could find. :D
Anyway, I definitely don't get too much sweetness, but I do like this blend. I think the blend got kind of mixed reviews by our group, but I'm noticing the group also tends to favor VA and VAPer blends. Me, I'm a latakia man and would probably place a good aromatic second. VA blends are only an occasional treat. Oh, BTW, I used my review of Orlik Golden Sliced from this project to post to the luxurytobaccoreviews.com site and would like to post my other reviews up there as well. I don't see an entry for Lagonda, but we just did Luxury Navy Flake. So, I'll try to get that up there soon.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
No problem Kevin, back from my day in San Francisco and I went ahead and uploaded my LNF review to the site.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Ah. Well I rarely eat or smoke anything sweet, so Jolly Ranchers are very sweet to me. Haddo's delight, although I do quite enjoy it, is sort of like smoking candied fruit to me, very sweet. So, subtle tho it may be....TO ME, I'm gonna say Lagonda is kinda sweet :P

owen

May 28, 2014
Just had my first smoke of this. Expensive in the UK, £25 delivered but what an education, all those flavours that I have been reading about but not getting in other blends are here. A surprisingly unsoggy(dry is not the right word) blend compared to the tins I have been g

smoking and will serve as a real bench mark for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.