Is it Necessary to Cellar Tins Into Jars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
An exceptional moist flake tobacco such as Mac Barens stays moist for several months after opening. There is relatively high humidity in Central Florida year round. I've never had an open tin dry out unless I totally forgot about it and came back to it a year later. I would assume others don't have that luxury in drier climates.

necessary
Absolutely not. I never switch a tin to a jar. I would if I noticed that a tin wasn't sealed. Just try to open it periodically. If it is still vacuum sealed, you should not be able to open it with your bare fingers. To jar a sealed tin is completely unnecessary.

And, after I pop a tin, the tins seem to slow down drying quite a bit but not dry it quickly. And, since I prefer to dry my tobacco anyways, I don't let it bother me. And, I don't want to carry around a jar with me like a moonshine drinking hobo.
Sometimes, I will transfer a round tin to one of the empty rectangle tins, because they fit in my jacket pocket much easier.

But, if you are worried, or anxious in any way, do what gives you peace of mind.

Last edited:

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I jar whatever is opened immediately, sometimes before even smoking it (sometimes I just HAVE to open a tin of something I haven't tried right when I get it because I'm just too excited), but I live in the desert in AZ so things dry out rather quickly.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Quick follow-up question: do you need to store the jars in a dark place? I assume the answer is yes, but just want some confirmation. Thanks again!

Typically, just not the direct sun. It takes me few months to finish a tin. I typically have 4-6 jars going. Just leaving them on the bookshelf away from the direct sun seems to work for me.

maulragoth

Jan 30, 2018
I mason jar it all usually. I went for some Edward G Robinson's I was leaving in the tin the other day...... BRITTLE BONE DRY. I have gotten away with leaving in tins many times, but after this lesson I'll always tin if I don't come back to it within a week.

In case it helps anyone, the EGR was in a McLelland / C&D type tin. It seems to me I can get the screw type tins (like Presbyterian/Escudo come in) to seal better.

Also, I've had tubs of Chatham Manor not go bad rescrewing the tops for 2 tubs in 2 years. Humectant in there?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
And, I don't want to carry around a jar with me like a moonshine drinking hobo.
Sometimes, I will transfer a round tin to one of the empty rectangle tins, because they fit in my jacket pocket much easier.
Somebody get this guy a tobacco pouch!

Reactions: rushx9
Somebody get this guy a tobacco pouch!
I have a drawer full of pouches. But, I just prefer the old tins. They prevent flakes from getting smashed up, or ribbon getting squashed into dust. Plus, the tins do, do a pretty good job of slowing down drying for me.

Plus, that leather and rubber smells tends to translate over into the smoke for me.

Reactions: BROBS

maulragoth

Jan 30, 2018
I pack around a pistol bag (4x8x10 inches) with 3-6 8oz(1/2 Pint) jars. It also carries several pipes, some cigar cutters and tools, a small can of butane and a couple lighters. Usually only 3 jars though otherwise it gets pretty fat and reduces a few pipes I like to bring along. Also can add a couple bags of other tobaccos in pouches. Most this is the party going device or somewhere I'll be for a while.

If interested Amazon, eBay

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally have at least 20 open tins at a time. I couldn't be bothered with jarring them all so I keep my open tins in these tupperware like tubs that keep the tobacco fresh for at least 1.5 years. I recently ran across a 2015 tin of Reiner Long Golden Flake at the bottom of one of my containers and the humidity was perfect, not dry in any way and still had some nice moisture to it. I wish I liked the stuff as it is pretty. Next time Hoosierpipeguy comes to the house I will give it to him. There is something about the white Burley in it that turns me off from it.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
All depends on the conditions in which it's stored and how often you open the tin. If it's in a cool place with higher humidity like a basement cellar it can be fine for months. I live on the coast and don't have to worry about changing things over quickly. I took a visit to a drier part of Canada here and things can get crispy pretty quick. But even then I still had some Irish flake that didn't noticeably dry out after a couple weeks. Really depends on your climate.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I normally have at least 20 open tins at a time. I couldn't be bothered with jarring them all so I keep my open tins in these tupperware like tubs that keep the tobacco fresh for at least 1.5 years. I recently ran across a 2015 tin of Reiner Long Golden Flake at the bottom of one of my containers and the humidity was perfect, not dry in any way and still had some nice moisture to it. I wish I liked the stuff as it is pretty. Next time Hoosierpipeguy comes to the house I will give it to him. There is something about the white Burley in it that turns me off from it.

I'll be visiting soon. Lol. I finished off a tin of HU Dockworker today that had been open will over six months. Did out a bit but tasted excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.