PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Out of my six first pipes, three were cracked after a few months. The reason for my pipe was due to trying to smoke the last bit of tobacco at the bottom, and sucking flame down to the tobacco. I was using Bic and Zippo. Since I started using Peterson pipes, I stopped doing that.

Looking at the pipes, and understanding the smoker's habits regarding his use of pipes is really needed to check what's going on.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I know I haven't burned out a pipe ever and I have been smoking a long time. Considering how many different brands of pipes you have we can rule them as the cause. You must be smoking your pipes extremely fast and using a torch lighter. Slow your pace to way hell down and get a non-torch lighter.

Smoke bid

Lurker
Sep 22, 2024
I like to puff on my pace. Maybe it could be a bowl to throw out early. But the terrible thing is maybe the tobacco is burning too hot? Who knows. I will limit the rest of my comments. I do hope there can be a comment about whether smoking a tobacco that comes from a lightly humid outdoors may burn heavy. I just do not know. Thanks for the replies. I am back to smoking a cigar this hour and pipes soon.

Briarcutter

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
It's not the tobacco. You have figure out what you've doing wrong and stop doing it. smoke slow, don't try and keep the whole bowl going with one light.

Last edited:

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
It could be just poor quality briar used in all three pipes. A little pinhole and your puff by puff cadence. If I bought a pipe and it had a burnout in under a month I would send it back for replacement no matter what the brand. Then again, I have never had a burnout.

Reactions: snooppartlow08

Smoke bid

Lurker
Sep 22, 2024
So I take it from the list I may be smoking too fierce. Sadly, that is my pace.

I did wonder if the briar was defective. I am again using a SOFT lighter. The flame sometimes is an inch and a little long.

Still, I guess this is odd. I try to let a pipe cool for a day or so after smoking. I noted that the Oeterson was cracked after the first smoke. It was a dublin and a very thin bowl.

Yes it is hard. I have now bought eleven pipes this year and only have four which work. Two on order and one more the Roma which really is starting to look bad. Not to mention that the Roma burns too hot. The smoke after ten minutes can not be smoked.

I have one meerschaum which is nice. It has been dirtied and has now a ring around the shank from seeming maybe moisture. But the smoke is nice.

I was only planning to buy six pipes. The Savanelli was disappointing as I did not take a liking to the filter. But the Nording was my favorite pipe. Set it well, I hope one day to get another. The Peterson was embarrassing.

I threw out the Brigham last night and contemplated digging through trash to give you guys a picture but I am set in my mood today and sadly trash is trash. It really is interesting to look at these defects. Still, I have a Neerup, a Peterson Irish Sea, A Rossi, A La Rocca, A Baraccini, A Erin Go Bragh, a Stanwell and a Paronelli which are all still doing ok. A nice collection but I started mostly now smoking the pipe and needed more.

Basically, I have a pipe holder that holds seven pipes. I wanted to fill it. The Paronelli is for the cigar store and stays in the car. The garage has one pipe too.

Well, I am getting older set to the beat of good pipe smoking. The foggy fancy favor of a good pipe is desired.

• Sad
Reactions: snooppartlow08

Smoke bid

Lurker
Sep 22, 2024
Without photos, this thread is soon to be closed.

OP- No more posts until solid evidence is posted.
That is ok. I think I got some helpful feedback.

Thank you for your replies. I think I am going to just be careful what pipes I buy. I just purchased another Brigham for under $50. I recently purchased their filters for my newly burned pipe.

Hope the pipe smoking is nice for those of you who took a moment. It sure is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.