Is it acceptable to throw bagged tobaccos into a Tupperdor?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have a cooler and some Broveda packs and in it is about 30 blends in various bag types - from the Country Squire bags which are as thin as a ziploc to slightly thicker Watch City and Wilke bags to the Ken Byron Mylar bags (which are a fairly thin Mylar). Is this acceptable as long term storage? I’m not so concerned about the cooler seal - it is strong. What I was worried about is the scent profiles of the various tobaccos marrying due to the thin walls of the bags. Or is that going overboard?

I have some time on my hands today to jar them if need be, but wanted some other opinions before expending the effort. Thanks!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
If it were me, I'd opt for the tried and true mason jar. No boveda required, and no cooler needed either. Unless your storing it outside in a garage or something, then I'd put it in a cooler of some sort, but that's not ideal.

Just mason jars, out of direct sunlight at roomish temperature for longterm storage. Mylar is also acceptable.

Now your boveda method in a cooler would probably be alright to keep it fresh too, just overkill and too much, in my opinion

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't worry about the flavors marrying unless they are in there for years. But it also would be easy to garner them to mylar bags. The seal on the cooler isn't prefect either.
Thanks. I was able to jar all but about a pound. I will do the rest when I can pick up some pint jars. I was going to use it long term but I don’t want my aromatic compounds intermingling.

I don’t have and don’t want a Mylar machine and may have worn out my welcome regarding the use of my neighbor’s machine.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Plastic is permeable, that is air/moisture can actually pass through it. The heavier plastic bags that some vendors use will hold up for a matter of years.

If you throw them in a cooler and come back a year later you will smell the tobacco in the cooler.

Heavy (7 mil) Mylar is pretty much bulletproof.

Reactions: Egg Shen
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks. I was able to jar all but about a pound. I will do the rest when I can pick up some pint jars. I was going to use it long term but I don’t want my aromatic compounds intermingling.

I don’t have and don’t want a Mylar machine and may have worn out my welcome regarding the use of my neighbor’s machine.
I sealed mine with a clothes iron. Worked better than the machine and I didn't want to use vacuum.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I’ve got 2 Tupperware boxes for random baggies and open tins of tobacco. One for Latakia blends and one for all else.

None of this is fit long term storage, but are part of my open tins. The better stuff is in short term jars.