Is "Glasschaum" just another name for meerschaum? (Mystery blue dot pipe)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
This oddball was in a large lot of pipes I bought at an antique store. On one side of the shank we have "Sterling BAND" and the other, "Glasschaum BOWL". The tarnished band itself is hallmarked and marked "Sterling". The bowl is lined with what I presume to be pressed meerschaum, but I'm wondering what, exactly, "Glasschaum" is? First time encountering the term! Hopefully glasschaum is not some asbetos glass/meer mix because I would smoke this pipe after restoring it if it were a safe material. The liner is in good, relatively clean condition with just some chipping around the rim and looks generally good to smoke. Any tips on cleaning the liner up a bit would be appreciated. Also, any ideas on the maker? Some research pulled up Wally Frank or Gordon as possibilities, but no smoking gun. Thanks for the help!

Glasschaum-1.jpg

Glasschaum-2.jpg

Glasschaum-3.jpg

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
From my research, it appears to be an asbestos based lining. I would not smoke it, or mess with it at all. Your pipe is likely a Knickerbocker Pipe Co pipe, they used Glasschaum pretty heavily during WWII in "Mountain Briar" pipes to prevent rapid burnout.

That was exactly my biggest fear. Well shoot, here I was sniffing the bowl when I first got it and rubbing my finger around... Too bad, because the pipe has some halfway decent grain and I was kind of excited to clean it up. But glad I asked first!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
That was exactly my biggest fear. Well shoot, here I was sniffing the bowl when I first got it and rubbing my finger around... Too bad, because the pipe has some halfway decent grain and I was kind of excited to clean it up. But glad I asked first!
That little exposure is minimal, I wouldn't worry about to much. If you want to clean up the outside of the pipe and send me pictures I'd love to add it to the Knickerbocker pipedia page.