Is Dr. Grabow the Largest U.S. Briar Factory Pipe Maker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just as an observer of of the pipe market, it seems to me that Dr. Grabow is the largest remaining briar pipe factory in the U.S. in terms of volume of production. Kaywoodie that also makes Yello-Bole and Medico is still in business, but i understand it is essentially a one man operation with maybe a few assistants, whereas Dr. Grabow still operates a full-size factory with a full time staff in Sparta, N.C., in the foothills near the Virginia border.

Edwards used to make a regular line of pipes, but I think they are out of production. Missouri Meerschaum may be the largest factory pipe maker in terms of volume, but they make cobs and hardwood pipes but no briar.

If anyone knows better, please let me know. I'm proud that Dr. Grabow exists in my state.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My local Walgreens sells Dr. Grabow pipes in the plastic packs, but the trick is, they are behind the check-out counter, behind the check-out line candy racks, at floor level, so you have to ask to see them or you probably won't. They are sold surreptitiously like condoms used to be.

I've seen them at the JR cigar outlets off the interstate highway ramps hanging on stand-up racks in the plastic packs.

i've heard that occasional special edition pipes are available only on inquiry from the factory directly. I do think they are still widely distributed through online retailers like West Virginia Tobacco Shop and such.

My local independent pipe and tobacco shop sells MM cobs but no Dr. Grabow pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a good TV feature from WUNC PBS. It's not a expose as I would call it, but a very friendly and sympathetic history of the factory, which they point out was bought some time ago by a New Zealander, but is still entirely a North Carolina product. Most of the employees are middle-aged or older and sincerely attached to their work. One guy laughingly says he'd just as soon die on the job.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
A lot of their business is still mail-order. And if you order directly from the factory they give great discounts. Dr. Grabows are my favorite pipes and I got their POY this year, the Endurance. Option of straight, bent, rusticated or smooth. I went with a Bent Rusticated. The Endurance.

9AC96872-F8C9-400D-8DE4-6FC8F956F78C.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two Dr. Grabow pipes, both Royaltons with an acrylic stem, one a slightly bent bulldog without bead lines that is excellently shaped to my eye, and a even more slightly bent rusticated apple. They're nicely turned and finished and wear well.

Piping Abe, that's a handsome POY.

Reactions: fMf Piper

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I've often overlooked grabow due to the cheaper nature, and several of their pipes are very small bowls.

But being a Carolinian, my interest is sparked, maybe I should have pride in my local manufacturer? Which shapes do they offer that are more medium sized?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon