Is Compression Necessary To Marry Flavors?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Flake versus ready rubbed ribbon tobaccos. Wondering if I should compress a home blend or leave it in a ready-rubbed state?

It'll be my second attempt at custom blending bulk tobaccos. My first attempt, a virginia and C&D burley, was left in ribbons and the flavors seemed to marry somewhat after a few months. The first smoke immediately after blending was noticeably not married yet.

For my second attempt, a stoved and a red virginia, I'm wondering if I should experiment with a pasta press to compress it or leave it in ribbons?

Just curious. I suspect the compression merely speeds up the marrying process.

Jun 23, 2019
+1 Noodle Press

There's probably some merit to compression and how it "mixes the juices" so to speak.

Generally speaking in my years of messing around with home blending, I've found the noodle press to improve the flavor. Whether or not that's placebo effect because I feel like I need to justify all this effort I'm putting into it I cannot tell you, but to my palette the finished blends feel more "evened out" - a uniformed tasted - as opposed to just mixing some raw, pure leaves together where you can get sudden "spikes" in flavor.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I mixed a huge jar of Sutliff 515 rc1 and 507s and it took about 6 months without pressing for the two to really begin to harmonize. I'm letting it rest another 6 months and I predict it will be right where I want it to be.

I got a noodle press and I let it sit for 4 weeks pressed and it tasted much like it did at 6 months or maybe even further along.

So long story short, yes.

Aug 1, 2012
Why do the flavors have to be constrained by traditional values of marriage? They could just live as separate individuals who choose to be together.

Jokes aside, one view I have read is that pressure accelerates the process as hoosierpipeguy stated.

Another view I have read is that it results in a flavor profile that has different balance and nuance. Not better or worse, just different. These are only the views I have gathered from blenders, both amateur and pro, I have not had the chance to try it myself.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
@hoosierpipeguy is right, it accelerates the process. I use two forms of pressing- for ribbon cut mixtures that I just want to see how they meld faster I use a Food Saver and vacuum bag the blend. It creates enough pressure to squash it together and “swap spit” but nothing like a plug. More like a free form crumble cake. For something like a plug (more like an extremely dense crumble cake) the noodle press is the way to go, adds years of age in 10 days. The key to the noodle press is to add heat- I microwave 2oz for 20 seconds, mix it, then another 15 seconds. It’s steaming at that point. Shove it immediately into the press, crank down hard. Then wait 30 minutes and you’ll find you can crank it a little further. Let it sit in the press for a week, pop it, then let it rest for 3 days or so. Magic results.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Maybe I am being pedantic and semantic but I always found the expression "marry the flavours" difficult to deal with. What exactly do people mean by that?

From my own experiments with pressing I found that pressing alters the burn characteristics of the blend, often positively, making it burn cooler and slower, resulting in better flavour. The "marrying" I take to be the fact we're smoking a compact form of different leaf, so we get a lot of their flavours coming at the same time, but my personal experience is that well blended ribbon or broken flake, or rubbed out flake does not taste substantially different. Maybe I'm still somewhat green, happy to be corrected in time.

Also substantial differences between flake, plug and cake.

Reactions: yaddy306

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
@hoosierpipeguy is right, it accelerates the process. I use two forms of pressing- for ribbon cut mixtures that I just want to see how they meld faster I use a Food Saver and vacuum bag the blend. It creates enough pressure to squash it together and “swap spit” but nothing like a plug. More like a free form crumble cake. For something like a plug (more like an extremely dense crumble cake) the noodle press is the way to go, adds years of age in 10 days. The key to the noodle press is to add heat- I microwave 2oz for 20 seconds, mix it, then another 15 seconds. It’s steaming at that point. Shove it immediately into the press, crank down hard. Then wait 30 minutes and you’ll find you can crank it a little further. Let it sit in the press for a week, pop it, then let it rest for 3 days or so. Magic results.
I don't think it could be made more clear: compression and heat.

I don't think there's a commercial heat press in the US, but as above, there can be many home presses. It took years for C&D to get a pressure only press.

Reactions: tfdickson