Is a Burnt Wall Something to Worry about?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

satori

Lurker
Jan 23, 2022
Europe
So recently I bought this Savinelli Autograph (brand new) and looks like there is a "hot spot" or something (not sure what's the word, looks like a hole started developing there). I'm smoking pipes for around 15 years and this never happened before.
I'm 100% sure I didn't smoke it hot. The chamber was "precarbonized" from the factory.

Is this something to worry about, or should I just go ahead and smoke it? Return it to Savinelli? Make ash+spit cement and fill it?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0361.jpg
    IMG_0361.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: MtnGeo and BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
that's a little burnout. They happen. It's from my understanding because there are little pits in that area. And that lets the briar burn easily. That's the whole reason for breaking in a pipe from my understanding. Also why when you buy a pipe at a store they often offer the honey treatment. But the pipe mud will fix it. And when we say fix it we mean in a little bit it will smoke as good as if that never happened.

satori

Lurker
Jan 23, 2022
Europe
Thanks for replies everyone, I think I'll try to return it.
Fun fact - looks like it happened on another pipe I bought at the same time as this one. And that pipe is Savinelli Autograph too :/ Although the "crater" is somewhat smaller.
This is the first time I bought pipes that cost that much. Never had issues with cheaper ones.

That's some nice luck right there...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks for replies everyone, I think I'll try to return it.
Fun fact - looks like it happened on another pipe I bought at the same time as this one. And that pipe is Savinelli Autograph too :/ Although the "crater" is somewhat smaller.
This is the first time I bought pipes that cost that much. Never had issues with cheaper ones.

That's some nice luck right there...
If you have two out of two, either you're the unluckiest person alive or you're doing something wrong. Based upon my own experience, I put sandpit voids in the bowl at approximately 1 in 150. And they've always showe up in the first few bowls in my experience. I had one about 1/2 way up on a rather thin bowled pipe that burnt all the way through. The second was in the area yours is and it showed up after the second bowl. Your photos look like a pipe that's been smoked for awhile.

Not trying to pick on you but I can't help but wonder if you haven't tried smoking to the bottom of the bowl too much and caused that burnout by lighting too much.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If you have two out of two, either you're the unluckiest person alive or you're doing something wrong. Based upon my own experience, I put sandpit voids in the bowl at approximately 1 in 150.
Random things happen like that. They aren't spread out evenly in time. I never had a flat car tire in my life until 2 years ago. Then I had 3 in 2 years.

satori

Lurker
Jan 23, 2022
Europe
If you have two out of two, either you're the unluckiest person alive or you're doing something wrong. Based upon my own experience, I put sandpit voids in the bowl at approximately 1 in 150. And they've always showe up in the first few bowls in my experience. I had one about 1/2 way up on a rather thin bowled pipe that burnt all the way through. The second was in the area yours is and it showed up after the second bowl. Your photos look like a pipe that's been smoked for awhile.

Not trying to pick on you but I can't help but wonder if you haven't tried smoking to the bottom of the bowl too much and caused that burnout by lighting too much.

Each of those 2 pipes were smoked 3 times (I received them this Tuesday)
It had a "carbon" layer already from the factory, that's why it maybe looks smoked for a while.

It COULD be it was my fault, but I doubt it. I treated them exactly as I treat all my other pipes and this is the first time ever this happened to me (and 2nd time unfortunately)

The second one (I haven't posted photos of that one) has a much more shallow "crater", so I already mixed up some pipe mud and applied to the wall. I'll apply another thin layer tomorrow and then day after that. I won't even try to return that one because it's not as critical IMHO.

I'll most definitely try to return the one from my original post in this thread and see how it goes.

Maybe pipe gods are trying to tell me to stop buying Autographs

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Briar, or any pipe wood is a natural product and can have soft spots that will burn like that. It's not all that common though.

If this occurred on another pipe, I guess the $64,000 is: Did you use a jet flame lighter on it? That'll burn a hole in a New York minute.

satori

Lurker
Jan 23, 2022
Europe
Briar, or any pipe wood is a natural product and can have soft spots that will burn like that. It's not all that common though.

If this occurred on another pipe, I guess the $64,000 is: Did you use a jet flame lighter on it? That'll burn a hole in a New York minute.
I've had 30 some pipes over the years, all bought brand new. Never had an issue like this until now. I'm aware that briar is wood and it's unpredictable.
Oh, and of course I'm not using jet flame lighter.
I would simply fill the hole and not go through the hassle of trying to return it. Regardless, hope you'll get good smokes from it.
I'm somewhat leaning towards this, but I'm afraid it will burn out quickly.
Thanks, I sent an e-mail to Savinelli and we'll see what they suggest

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Each of those 2 pipes were smoked 3 times (I received them this Tuesday)
It had a "carbon" layer already from the factory, that's why it maybe looks smoked for a while.

It COULD be it was my fault, but I doubt it. I treated them exactly as I treat all my other pipes and this is the first time ever this happened to me (and 2nd time unfortunately)

The second one (I haven't posted photos of that one) has a much more shallow "crater", so I already mixed up some pipe mud and applied to the wall. I'll apply another thin layer tomorrow and then day after that. I won't even try to return that one because it's not as critical IMHO.

I'll most definitely try to return the one from my original post in this thread and see how it goes.

Maybe pipe gods are trying to tell me to stop buying Autographs
Understood, you just had a run of bad luck. I had one almost identical from a very reliable Artisan. I patched it a little then just smoked it. Can't even tell it was ever there now. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.