PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
yesterday i ordered a boveda test kit, should be here saturday... ill let my tobacconist know if their hygrometer is off.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
my cigars need to be kept at 79 otherwise I know the difference and I don't enjoy the flavor or experience of a too dry cigar. I don't mind dry pipe tobacco for some reason tho

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I get the sense from many of these remarks that people spend a lot more time attending to their humidor than me. I put water in it twice a year and let the glycol take care of it the rest of the time. This thread has made me face up to my laziness. But, I'm not gonna do anything about it. My Igloodor works for me, I don't work for it.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I get the sense from many of these remarks that people spend a lot more time attending to their humidor than me. I put water in it twice a year and let the glycol take care of it the rest of the time. This thread has made me face up to my laziness. But, I'm not gonna do anything about it. My Igloodor works for me, I don't work for it.
Well if your cigars are fine then you're lucky. I wish i didn't have to worry about that shit especially lately since I haven't smoked anything in about 9 months.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Yeah, I did the salt test this weekend and my hygrometer was high by 4 %, so now its reading 67 to 68 percent which is better. Guess the cigar shops hygrometer must read high too then

Jun 23, 2019
To be fair, any debate here is moot without everyone disclosing their location and relative environmental humidity. It's the same with dry times, some people say 15min, others swear by 40min.

Umberto

Lurker
Apr 11, 2020
::FACEPALMSLAP:: Relative humidity is a term...take it literally...it means relative to the environment. If you are blasting your heater to keep warm it could dry the ambient humidity outside of the humidor.

Lot's of variables...boveda + quality tupper/(generic named tupper with proper sealing) is more or less a helluva lot better than any wooden humidor ever. Keep sticks isolated in multiple batches in multiple containers and decide what boveda pack is right for you.

If you are only keeping a few boxes or less this is really the best way to keep them good. Humidors are awesome when calibrated properly, but too few times people just throw stuff in and over or under humidify.

Boveda/tuperdore, is so much less a gamble and works great. I can't tell you what the relative humidity is or how to calibrate, but I can tell you it's always better to be dryer than wet.

Cigar shops usually keep wetter because split wrappers mean lost sales...Have fun take her easy and enjoy. Damned you I want a cigar now.

Reactions: carcosa
Status
Not open for further replies.