PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I fear nothing. So I thought. Been playing with skateboard for almost 3 months? I'm slow at physical stuff. Got better as I grew up. Understanding what's involved, and breaking down to small steps help me a lot. I do things not because I'm good at them, but because I want to do them. Skateboarding is the latest, and I'm enjoying it greatly.

But for last two weeks, I realized I need to jump up and down on the skateboard to do further tricks. Had skateboard shoot out under my feet few times. Not exactly a great feeling. And knowing jumping on the skateboard could greatly increase the chance of skateboard shoot out is causing irrational fear. I mean, worst that could happen is I'll fall. I fell so many times in my life, I shouldn't be concerned. But this time, it's scaring the shit out of me. So tried jumping on the skateboard with wheels locked. Easy. Tried to jump on it without the lock, not so easy. My feet are stuck on the ground and wouldn't come off. So tried just jumping off the skateboard and took a week just to do that. And finally, I was able to jump a little few times today. But still can't jump on it. For some reason this irrational fear is not going away easily.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
At your age that's not irrational fear. The irrational part is skateboarding at all.

But if you're determined to continue with this activity, I do think you should at least post some videos of your progress...just for the historical record. And in case any of the other geezers here are thinking of taking up skateboarding, it may help give them some pointers.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
At your age that's not irrational fear. The irrational part is skateboarding at all.

But if you're determined to continue with this activity, I do think you should at least post some videos of your progress...just for the historical record. And in case any of the other geezers here are thinking of taking up skateboarding, it may help give them some pointers.
I had a video. It was worse than smoking Velvet, so I deleted.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Irrational fear?

Not even slightly. (Mutha Naycha gets downright bitchy when her pet force gravity feels like someone is laughing at it)

• Haha
Reactions: Zero and bullet08

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
I still get this! I swim laps three times a week and I sometimes get the fear of a pool shark. Even looking in the pool while I swim doesn’t disabuse me of this fear, which starts as a a vague “wouldn’t it be wild if there was a shark here” and gradually coalesces into “holy mother of god there is 100% an invisible shark in this pool”.

Certainly doesn’t hurt my times though! I swear this is a near universal experience tied to some deep genetic memories

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I still get this! I swim laps three times a week and I sometimes get the fear of a pool shark. Even looking in the pool while I swim doesn’t disabuse me of this fear, which starts as a a vague “wouldn’t it be wild if there was a shark here” and gradually coalesces into “holy mother of god there is 100% an invisible shark in this pool”.

Certainly doesn’t hurt my times though! I swear this is a near universal experience tied to some deep genetic memories
I was fine until I saw "Jaws". Up until that point, I used to go snorkeling off east coast of S. Korea. Crystal clear water you could see to the bottom. When I came to America and first saw the Atlantic, I was speechless. Freaking mud water with god knows what's hiding underneath it!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

Nothing crazy about that at all.

EVERY swimming pool has a 5th Dimensional shark in it, waiting for a human to come along who is sufficiently worried and scared to activate the hydron-elipsoid-3 protein temporal meta-bonds which keep it contained in the 5th dimension.

Proof. This pool was empty until, well, it wasn't. Takes less than a trillionth of a femtosecond for the time-space release of the shark to occur:

Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 8.59.29 PM.png

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
As a large American, I fall large and hurt large.

The highest I try to get off the ground is ice skates. Even then, I know I'm going to hurt a bit.
When I was a young luchador at 250lbs I used to do flips and dives. When I retired I was 300lbs and 32. My dives and flips turned to power moves. Big guys jumping off the top rope isn't wise. Bad on the knees.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I fear nothing. So I thought. Been playing with skateboard for almost 3 months? I'm slow at physical stuff. Got better as I grew up. Understanding what's involved, and breaking down to small steps help me a lot. I do things not because I'm good at them, but because I want to do them. Skateboarding is the latest, and I'm enjoying it greatly.

But for last two weeks, I realized I need to jump up and down on the skateboard to do further tricks. Had skateboard shoot out under my feet few times. Not exactly a great feeling. And knowing jumping on the skateboard could greatly increase the chance of skateboard shoot out is causing irrational fear. I mean, worst that could happen is I'll fall. I fell so many times in my life, I shouldn't be concerned. But this time, it's scaring the shit out of me. So tried jumping on the skateboard with wheels locked. Easy. Tried to jump on it without the lock, not so easy. My feet are stuck on the ground and wouldn't come off. So tried just jumping off the skateboard and took a week just to do that. And finally, I was able to jump a little few times today. But still can't jump on it. For some reason this irrational fear is not going away easily.
Well done. Trying skateboarding again at a less than sprightly age is scary. I got a board to head out with my teenage son. Made sure I was padded up to the hilt. Knee, elbow, wrist, helmet and padded undershorts helped. I don't care if it doesn't look cool. I kind of stopped when we moved house and the condition of the street we moved to was not conducive to skateboarding. My son is managing good turns in the bowl at the local skate park and also managing to drop in to the bowl. I just watch at the minute. To get the boarding juices flowing you might want to watch a bit of the legend that is Rodney Mullen

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I skateboarded every day, for about 13 years, or till I turned 18. Lots of falling, scrapes, dings ( See: Shinbones) and bruises. It hurt when I was a kid. Would hurt even more now.

Just the other day I was ramping up my dogs outside to play together. Oats, our border collie/ German Shepard puppy got going so fast, I could see he had no control. He was headed right for me, and gave me a look as if to say "Sorry I cant get out of the way Dad" And as I tried to juke out of the way, he got my ankle.

Down I went, luckily, into the grass. I laughed as I lay there, with my two dogs looking over me confused all dumb like. That was the first time I fell like that in a very very long time. If you have ever heard the term " It'll hurt tomorrow", well it's true.

I couldn't imagine falling down like I used to, 10-15 mph on concrete. I get nervous just looking at skateboards these days as a 34 year old.

Reactions: JOHN72 and bullet08

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA

I completely understand, I mostly cruise and have focused on cruising in all my years skating and ollies are taking me forever, who knew expecting pain could cause one to lock up. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: bullet08

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
At 54, I won’t even jump off the bottom rung of a ladder. I know what that shit will feel like tomorrow.
Granted, nearly all my joints no longer contain cartilage from decades of abuse. How ironic that most of the nerves still work quite well.
great…