PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I'm a novice and want to get into Pipe Smoking with corn cob pipes. I surfed smokingpipes.com and ended up with 2 Missouri Prides.

The shipping smokingpipes.com providing which's under my budget is Super Saver International (cheapest) and First Class Mail (with limited tracking)

Is Super Saver (without tracking) would be a good option to India? I hope the package won't get lost in transit!

The customer support did assured me that there won't be any problems. I just wanted to know designated pipe smokers here in forum residing overseas about their experiences..

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have no experience with your question, but I applaud your choice of Missouri Meerschaums.
The Pride is about as good as it gets, just start them out slowly to establish an inner hardening as the 'natural' or unfinished cob can burn out if pushed during break in. ( I did that with one or two other, smaller, unfinished cobs)

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I get most of my packages to Canada from SP.com’s Super Saver International. Tens of packages by now. Takes 2-3 weeks, no tracking, delivered by Canada post. I have never had a lost package yet. Reliable and inexpensive. You just need to forget about it until it appears in your mailbox.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I have no experience with your question, but I applaud your choice of Missouri Meerschaums.
The Pride is about as good as it gets, just start them out slowly to establish an inner hardening as the 'natural' or unfinished cob can burn out if pushed during break in. ( I did that with one or two other, smaller, unfinished cobs)
Thank you so much newbroom..
Really appreciate your kind words..
I'll keep in mind your advice when I'll lit my very first bowl!

Happy Piping! puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I get most of my packages to Canada from SP.com’s Super Saver International. Tens of packages by now. Takes 2-3 weeks, no tracking, delivered by Canada post. I have never had a lost package yet. Reliable and inexpensive. You just need to forget about it until it appears in your mailbox.
Haha! That's the great idea to ponder upon.. keeping calm is really necessary while waiting for an untracked package!
Hoping I'll receive it soon from States!
Thank you Casual!
Happy Piping puffy

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Ever get "Dinged" coming across?

Reactions: chopper and Casual

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Shipping from the US to Canada is one thing, the US to India is quite another. But SP is pretty good about packing things securely. I wouldn't worry about it, but it may take a while to get to you.

Yes mikethompson, the distance between States and India is great enough. And even if the package gets in time.. Indian Customs are world famous to do further proceedings in their own leisure. Which generally takes upto 1-1.5 weeks.
Hoping the shipping to show up soon, sound and safe!

Happy Piping puffy

Reactions: danimalia

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I just wanted to know designated pipe smokers here in forum residing overseas about their experiences..
SP is a good company and will get things started off correctly.
I have had some experience sending items to India and have had no problems.
I have had more experience ordering items from India. An example would be tea from Darjeeling. I have had no problems in doing so and have found the exchange between India and US postal systems to be efficient. I think there is a great deal of merchandise moving back and forth!

As an aside, I have visited India several times for work but never shopped for tobacco while there. How is tobacco availability in India? What blends are you finding in the shops?

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
SP is a good company and will get things started off correctly.
I have had some experience sending items to India and have had no problems.
I have had more experience ordering items from India. An example would be tea from Darjeeling. I have had no problems in doing so and have found the exchange between India and US postal systems to be efficient. I think there is a great deal of merchandise moving back and forth!

As an aside, I have visited India several times for work but never shopped for tobacco while there. How is tobacco availability in India? What blends are you finding in the shops?
peregrinus, smokingpipes.com officials did assured me that they'll make sure that package to me gets delivered sound and safe within 3-5 week period under Super Saver International.
Yes, Darjeeling is in North Eastern part of India in state of West Bangal and is known for Tea Estates offering finest quality of Tea to India and overseas alike.

Trade between States and India is flourishing and hope it will get even more stronger in coming years. And hoping postal services from both ends will serve the best.

Tobacco is a big issue especially for Pipes in India. Import duties are very very high and importing for personal use can cause duties of upto 300 percent!
Pipe Smokers in India are handful if compared with total population but they did kept the hobby still ongoing with full enthusiasm.

I generally found Mac Barens (7 seas, Amphora, Vanilla Cream), Borkum Riffs, Davidoffs, Dan Tobacco Blends, Captain Blacks, and Erinmores. These are available from retailers based in Delhi and Mumbai.

Majority of them are otc's but will suffice my needs for now!

I hope the hobby I'm getting into would serve me a fair justice.

Happy International Pipe Smoking Day 2020!

Happy Piping.. puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Indian Tobacco Company sold Capstan Blue, Capstan Gold (Under the name Gold Flake) and a Red Va based tobacco (Van Gogh) - That was 20+ years ago, when I briefly smoked a pipe for a few months during my college days. I found a pouch inside one of my college books

View attachment 20079
cshubhra, wow! An ITC based blend! I don't know why ITC totally switched to cigarettes production and now they don't manufacture any such tobacco solely for Pipe Smokers.
In my hometown Nainital, the local tobacconist manufacture and process natural tobacco for pipe smokers and sell Rs 10/pouch for a non aromatic blend. I will try that out too!
I did found some good otc's and German based brand called Dan Tobacco blends with Tobacco House New Delhi.
As soon as I'll receive the cobs I'll certainly try the available blends with them.
I hope you are still into pipe smoking and smoking out the finest in a fine pipe this International Pipe Smoking Day 2020.

Best Wishes.
Happy Piping.. puffy

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Times really vary for International Super Saver packages. I had several packages delivered to me in Hong Kong that took only a week and a half to arrive, but another that was delivered to Singapore more than a month after I ordered it. Just be prepared to wait.

Additionally, if you order tobacco from the States at a later date, I would recommend foregoing SmokingPipes as an option and opting for 4Noggins. The latter is particularly adept at getting packages by customs unnoticed, whilst the former is fairly obvious to officials.

I picked up the pipe again in 2017, smoked for a few months, paused, picked up again in 2019. Overall, I have been enjoying a pipe for a continuous span of one year.

The ITC pipe tobacco were good then, and affordable to college students. Too bad they stopped selling pipe tobacco. I did not know that!
I like German tobaccos- Very happy with Reiner Long Golden Flake (Gold Blend No 71). I have purchased a huge HU tobacco sampler recently and enjoying them so far. I also have Dan tobacco in my radar, and although not smoked any yet, I have a couple of tins of Old Ironsides in my cellar. Otherwise, I enjoy Dunhill (Now Peterson), Smokers Haven, Gawith Hoggarth & Co, Esoterica, and C&D Burley based tobacco.
Don’t smoke aromatics much, but occasionally I would have a bowl of aromatics as well.

I am not much aware of the pipe tobacco availability in India, but these kind of posts excite me.

I hope you are still into pipe smoking and smoking out the finest in a fine pipe this International Pipe Smoking Day 2020.

Best Wishes.
Happy Piping.. puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Times really vary for International Super Saver packages. I had several packages delivered to me in Hong Kong that took only a week and a half to arrive, but another that was delivered to Singapore more than a month after I ordered it. Just be prepared to wait.

Additionally, if you order tobacco from the States at a later date, I would recommend foregoing SmokingPipes as an option and opting for 4Noggins. The latter is particularly adept at getting packages by customs unnoticed, whilst the former is fairly obvious to officials.
davidsaulmarshall, thank you for sharing your experience.

And yes SP very strictly clears up that they won't hide real info about the package contents.
And yeah.. SP name itself might easily attract custom eyes.. and thank you for sharing me about 4noggins.

Happy International Pipe Smoking Day 2020.

Happy Piping! puffy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
davidsaulmarshall, thank you for sharing your experience.

And yes SP very strictly clears up that they won't hide real info about the package contents.
And yeah.. SP name itself might easily attract custom eyes.. and thank you for sharing me about 4noggins.

Happy International Pipe Smoking Day 2020.

Happy Piping! puffy
It will say "Laudisi Enterprises" so not smokingpipes.com ;)

Also, would ordering from smokingpipes.eu be faster or easier to India?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
cshubhra, wow! An ITC based blend! I don't know why ITC totally switched to cigarettes production and now they don't manufacture any such tobacco solely for Pipe Smokers.
In my hometown Nainital, the local tobacconist manufacture and process natural tobacco for pipe smokers and sell Rs 10/pouch for a non aromatic blend. I will try that out too!
I did found some good otc's and German based brand called Dan Tobacco blends with Tobacco House New Delhi.
As soon as I'll receive the cobs I'll certainly try the available blends with them.

Best Wishes.
Happy Piping.. puffy
If you hadn't checked them out yet, Dan Tobacco makes many wonderful blends across many different styles. And no, I am not just saying that out of solidarity for a fellow Dan. ;)

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I don't know anything about the postal service in India. But, I can tell you I've had outstanding service from the international sellers who advertise on this site!