PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harkpuff

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Just wondering what percentage of artisan pipe makers out there offer to sell their pipes internationally.
I was haveing this conversation with someone on eBay and they told me that if you typically have no problem selling your items nationally then the hassels of international sales are not worth the head aches. However, they qualified this statement by saying it you are selling high dollar items, and the items have just as much interest both nationally and internationally, then international sales may be more attractive and worth the effort.
If you go to the lengths to read all that eBay has to say regarding international sales, the process of just wading through all the dialog is enough to scare some people off.
On the other hand though, I feel the process could possibly be easier than imagined, because I have read the shipping instructions for some of the high end artisan pipe makers which basically read:
* For international sales shipping will be a flat $35.00.

*Payment is required through PayPal only.

* Returns for international sales will be honored but the pipe must be returned unsmoked and with its original box and sock.

*If returned in its original condition credit will be issued through PayPal less the shipping costs.
These simple instructions sounds to me like the seller simply boxes up the pipe, takes it to the post office, fills out any required customs form, and away it goes.
Is it that simple, or is there more to it than that?
Seems to me it would really open up your market possibilities if international sales were a simple issue.
Can some of you experienced sellers out there enlighten us on the pros and cons?
Thanks,
Harkpuff

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have not sold pipes on eBay internationally. But I do sell all of my retired photo gear via eBay, and list it world-wide. These are items that range from $250 to $2500. I have never had a problem with international sales that I have not, or could not encounter domestically. That is to say: International Excrement happens, but not at a higher rate than it does here in the US. I charge an additional $5 to fill out the customs forms and drop the package off at the post office. Beyond that, it is no different than selling domestically. require a confirmed PayPal address, don't sell to people with a low count or negative feedback, and be aggressive with eBay if someone tries to blackmail you with a threat of negative feedback.
In terms of photo gear, I sell a lot of it to Russia and Japan. It is a better market than the domestic US market. The same may hold true for pipes, I don't know, but there are nations out there that are economically much better off than the US. Golden rule: Never refuse a potential customer.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I have bought several pipes from vendors in Germany, Italy, UK and Austria. There were really no complications although at times delivery has been slowed because of U.S. Customs. But these were estates bought from veteran second hand pipe dealers. I have also returned pipes bought from Europe. My local post office handled it smoothly. No big deal. If there is a particular artisan you are interested in just google him and the website should tell you if he ships internationally.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
No problem with International sales...The only problem I ever had happened I brokered a 50's Mercedes 190 to a guy in Sweden. By the time it arrived after 4 weeks at sea, the beautiful paint had succumbed to the rust hiding under the paint...and the buyer wasn't happy....I still have nightmares on that one.

Aug 14, 2012
I retired this year from my camera store, which shipped all over the world. The biggest problem is filling out the online shipping documents for UPS or Fedex. It was such a nuisance that a few years ago I just refused to do it any more, and restricted shipping to the mail. The USPS is easier to ship with for now, and it does not have to be done online, you just fill out some forms at the post office. It also costs less, which helps sales. Customers will ask you to state a lower value to save them on taxes. I suggest that you do not do this. It is illegal, and will lower the amount of insurance as well. Speaking of which make insurance mandatory so you do not take a loss if it gets lost or stolen. The biggest disadvantage is that Paypal and the charge companies charge more for international. You should find out how much more (it is at least 1%) and somehow include it in your price.

Dec 24, 2012
and will lower the amount of insurance as well
The insurance that is included in USPS priority mail is $100; that's it. You have to pay more if you want more insurance. In all my time buying pipes, I don't know of a seller of pipes who has paid more for insurance above $100.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
International sales are easy, customs issues and knowledge are generally the purchaser's risk. I usually take the item to the post office for a quote, since I live close-by and then send an invoice with the shipping amount for international orders. If it's Canada, shipping can be estimated pretty good online.

I don't sell pipes, but I've been selling jewelry online for about 8 years now. And, I've had many issues come up, and several more questions come to mind. First, what country are you talking about? Not every country is easy to ship to. I've had to eat many pieces ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars that just got lost somewhere in the international minutia of postal systems.
Two, I imagine pipe makers would have the same issue that I would have in trying to collect from any postal insurance. If you make it and document the heck out of it, the postal system still wants all sorts of manufacturer's proof of value that an independent artist just can't supply. Postal insurance doesn't mean spit. I have to use a special insurance that is available only for artists, but cost way more than it's really worth. This is all way different than reselling a pipe that you bought and refurbished. UPS and Fedex can bite my ass. They will drag out any claims as if you are trying to swindle them for months and even over a year, even with proof and then only pay what the metal and stones are worth. I imagine for a pipe maker, they would only get the value of the briar and stems. The hours don't mean squat to them.
Third, if we are talking the EU or Japan, things are much easier, but if you are talking most other places, you have to go through a third party carrier to handle your customs and weird local stuff. Some countries don't even have a national mail system. I had piece with two oz of 18k end up missing somewhere between here and Lithuania, and trying to get someone on the phone there or do any sort of investigation (even through the UPS which uses local trafficking in some places) was futile. Meanwhile the banks raped my account from their end, and I was out six gran.
Nope, it is just way easier to focus on marketing only domestically and (some of) the EU. The sad fact is that is just too much of a risk. This has been debated by the Craft Councils for years now, and is their recommendations to all artists and craftsmen. Sorry :( However, each artisan may do what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.