PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Thomas hot

Lurker
Aug 9, 2024
Hong Kang
I dont think honey will dry. It will burn. My thinking is you need something that will dry and harden. I would have used something like plaster of paris and AC powder. Honey will burn and might not be that hard. Note Im not a repair person but honey and charcoal seems inadequate.

Personally id use waterglass but there are plenty of alternatives. Homemade pipe mud is a better choice than honey for filling a gap.
Yes, I have checked the honey and it has been over twenty hours without drying. What method would you use to fill the gaps? I can try some of your methods again.

Thomas hot

Lurker
Aug 9, 2024
Hong Kang
The quickest way I know of to build up cake is: Wet the chamber. Fill with granulated sugar. Dump out, let dry a bit. Carefully load tobacco so as to not scrape away any sugar.

Smoke to near the bottom. Repeat if necessary.
Sounds fast and convenient. After filling the damaged area with sugar and heating it up, the sugar will turn into liquid, right? Will it accumulate at the bottom of the pipe? I am curious about this method and willing to give it a try.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Honestly, when you are trying to get advice on a pipe repair a photo of the chamber is really important. Its difficult to know what is not enough and what is overkill.

Reactions: khiddy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds fast and convenient. After filling the damaged area with sugar and heating it up, the sugar will turn into liquid, right? Will it accumulate at the bottom of the pipe? I am curious about this method and willing to give it a try.
I've not noticed such. But if there's an accumulation in the heel, I'd remove it.
I'd coat the entire chamber, not just the damaged area. And by heating, I mean smoking.

Reactions: Thomas hot