Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I gave it nearly two days, rubbed out and laid out flat haha
Too dry, and it also tastes of nothing. A lot of blends have a sweet spot, a moisture range where they really come alive. Too moist, too dry, and the flavors don't come out.

As a general rule with Virginias, I'm looking for a point where the tobacco feels dry to the touch when squeezed, no cool moisture sensed against your skin. But still pliant, not completely dried out.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
. . .I first tried a pipe after watching Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr plays Holmes and smokes a straight, sandblasted saddlebit in the film).

Nathan
Of course, if your inspiration is Sherlock Holmes, and you're serious about pipes, there are some who'd say, forget Robert Downey Jr, drop whatever you might be doing, and find some Basil Rathbone Sherlocks.

I'll concede that some may be of the opinion that the various recent iterations of the Holmes franchise are far better in any number of different ways. But considerable scholarly ink (and not a few pixels made of ones and zeros) have been devoted to praising the magnificent prewar "shell" Dunhill LC bent that Rathbone smokes--even if it is only glimpsed fleetingly, from afar, in grainy, blurry black & white. . . . (you can of course ignore his Peterson).

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Welcome from Montréal.

I was born in Yorkshire and lived in the UK (London) till my mid-20's. It's funny what you really miss when you've been away from home for a very long time.

Decent pies (the savoury kind), quality sausage, bacon, good eggs and dairy (cheeses) all pale in comparison to what you have readily available.

Germain's and Gawith & Hoggarth tobacco's are also right up there. They have no real equivalent (that I've found at least) across the water. So smoke them well. Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina (via many other places). On your piping adventures, don't forget burley. Peterson Irish Flake would be a place to start, or their 3-P. It can be polarizing, so if you don't like it, leave it be. But for those who do, it is a true pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.