PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
My other interests are the Red Sox, New England Patriots, WSU Cougars (@alaskanpiper - time to fire Leach after the 7th straight Apple Cup loss?), Japanese maples, TV, console gaming, and being a parent of a busy middle-schooler. Between all of that I also make a point of going to a monthly Scotch club and a bi-monthly book club.

Reactions: diamondback

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Mostly lawyering. Other non-work interests aside from pipes include cigars, scotch, bourbon, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, outdoors stuff generally, reading (novels as well as some historical nonfiction), a little bit of gardening and raising houseplants, and tinkering on / learning to fix things at my house as they break and need repair so as not to be an "office only" type of guy with no practical skills.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My other interests are the Red Sox, New England Patriots, WSU Cougars (@alaskanpiper - time to fire Leach after the 7th straight Apple Cup loss?), Japanese maples, TV, console gaming, and being a parent of a busy middle-schooler. Between all of that I also make a point of going to a monthly Scotch club and a bi-monthly book club.

Ugh. Maybe, but probably not. He has been great for the program, and even with all the Apple Cup losses we are still way better than we "typically" are in general, although this season was certainly a dissappointment by our standards of late. I think what we really need more than a new coach is someone who actually gives a s*!t about defense.

I don't know what the deal is with the Apple cup. It certainly is anomalous for Leach, as he tends to be pretty even keel in big games. Whatever it is it sucks ass.

I think he is good for the program, and will keep us competitive, but I don't ever see his coaching style fielding a national championship caliber team, unless someone decides that defense is important.

My interests change ... I get excited about new stuff, and then I suddenly lose interest. Some of the stuff I enjoyed a lot once, but lost interest...

1. Music - I still listen but more as a rhythmic background. At one point, I appreciated almost every genre
  2. Photography - One time I was fairly interested (And somewhat skilled). However, thanks to phone photography, I am really surprised at how BAD I have become. I have not used a DSLR for more than 3/4 years, and my phone photos of pipe does not represent what I could do in terms of composition. I know the techniques, but lost the motivation
  3. Reading - I still read but it has transformed from modern literature, serious fiction and non fiction, to popular fiction to now mostly internet articles
  4. Learning about anything and everything - This is still there. I still continue to read Wikipedia and articles on various stuff which piques my interest.
  5. Small Sporty Cars - The ones which are a joy to drive, handles beautifully and is more poised in a corner than I have driving talent. This is still there, but impracticality of owning small cars (we own two) - I am slowly losing interest.

There are a bunch of others (like ham radio) which are so distant a memory I did not bother to write about them

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
He needs a strong defensive coordinator and maybe some help recruiting guys that can play defense at the very least.

Personally, I love him. I think he's a comedic gift to mankind. I love watching his QBs play. But watching Anthony Gordon throw 9 TDs in a single game and not winning? That was a bitter pill to swallow.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I enjoy motorcycling and scootering. I currently have a Honda Valkyrie and a SYM HD200.

I also collect and shoot old bolt action military surplus rifles. Mostly .30 caliber stuff, back when men were men and so were the women...

I am in and out of gaming (PC). I'm recently into Path Of Exile, now that I've picked up a machine with more capable graphics.

My wife and I watch lots of movies.

Airing my grievances on the forum rounds out my recreational activity.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
We have a tradition of singing old ballads while dancing a chain dance. I grew up with that and take part in it. To be lead singer requires a lot of reading and learning by heart these long ballads, some of them medieval and up to 2-300 verses. So that's a hobby.
A bit of hunting (hares and whales) and a bit of farm work (sheep).
And the various ways to make good food out of them.
I don't consider it a hobby to read. It's much more basic. So is listening to music. I do both a lot, but they're not hobbys.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
We have a tradition of singing old ballads while dancing a chain dance. I grew up with that and take part in it. To be lead singer requires a lot of reading and learning by heart these long ballads, some of them medieval and up to 2-300 verses. So that's a hobby.
I've seen your youtube videos. Very cool. There is one ballad in particular I really enjoyed. I think you are the lead singer in it.

Reactions: workman

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I've seen your youtube videos. Very cool. There is one ballad in particular I really enjoyed. I think you are the lead singer in it.
It's possible. I do a few. It's a very old tradition. In its current form it may date back to around 1300 or so, but it has connections to the troubadourial traditions in Europe that go farther back. Similar stuff can be found in Bretagne I've been told.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I don't consider it a hobby to read. It's much more basic. So is listening to music. I do both a lot, but they're not hobbys.

Reading and music NOT hobbies? Oh it’s on now! ?

I challenge you to a 9 ball match, race to ten, winner break, all ball fouls. Loser concedes reading/music hobby question!!!

lol j/k :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Spa32

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
LOL. I think I agree with Workman. I should change my previous post. I listen to music all the time, but it's because I need to have something in the background when doing repetitive work. I normally don't just sit back and do nothing but listen to it.

I think I should also add computer games to my list. Then again, playing a game at the end of the day whilst drinking a nightcap is just something I do, not really a hobby.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I've a whole bunch of interests, sadly the only ones finances allow these days is guns, shooting only and then mostly black powder because its fun, and table top role playing (paper and dice storytelling is what we call it.) I also very recently began the pipe carving addiction...
Other interests I've dabbled in over the years that are still in my I want category:
Ammunition reloading
Hunting and hiking
Camping
Computer gaming (need internet and or subscriptions for the ones that interest me)
Woodworking
Building a muzzle loading rifle (one day I'll have the money for a nice kit...)
building models of various types
Building and flying RC aircraft

I think that sums it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.