PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Good read and good news, though it does confirm something I'd read maybe a year ago, that Latakia is not even made in Cyprus anymore, just Turkey.

Interestingly a Greek company use Latakia from Egypt, I'd not seen this before or in any other manufacturer.
Re:Cyprus, I think you might be correct. Bee Tobacco Trading of Istanbul, had, at one point so I was told, a lock on trading with the Turkish part of Cyprus. Apparently they were processing tobacco grown elsewhere in the Eastern Mediterranean in Cyprus.

I had sporadically checked their web site over the years, and if you clicked through the home page, you could see what they had available. Sometimes it was just scraps, but they usually had at least some grades available.

Now, nothing.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Re:Cyprus, I think you might be correct. Bee Tobacco Trading of Istanbul, had, at one point so I was told, a lock on trading with the Turkish part of Cyprus. Apparently they were processing tobacco grown elsewhere in the Eastern Mediterranean in Cyprus.

I had sporadically checked their web site over the years, and if you clicked through the home page, you could see what they had available. Sometimes it was just scraps, but they usually had at least some grades available.

Now, nothing.
What I had read, maybe from GLP, was that what we take for Cypriot Latakia is grown and cured in Cyprus, shipped to Turkey to be smoked and turned into Latakia, then shipped back to Cyprus to be packaged and exported worldwide.

I was told by a Greek pipe tobacco manufacturer (Wolfway) that Latakia cost them 40 euros per kilo, that's not much cheaper than Perique, so an expensive condiment.

Reactions: mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.