PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

morior8

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2021
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Not sure if this is just a generic or something. My dad got it from an old guy from Greece in the 80’s. I haven’t seen anything like it before. It only says “real briar” on one side and no other markings I can see.

Attachments

• 699FE64F-BA10-483B-B043-4CD6ACD79950.jpeg
    699FE64F-BA10-483B-B043-4CD6ACD79950.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 327E9F72-DA70-4D22-8413-173E13520D05.jpeg
    327E9F72-DA70-4D22-8413-173E13520D05.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 53
  • B372BD41-3E60-4902-9ABE-5580F25A9C5B.jpeg
    B372BD41-3E60-4902-9ABE-5580F25A9C5B.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 3430EB19-69D5-4487-8C88-7A0076447D7F.jpeg
    3430EB19-69D5-4487-8C88-7A0076447D7F.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 57
  • F3FC6B55-7DF9-46D3-B1CE-0914EA0AA4FA.jpeg
    F3FC6B55-7DF9-46D3-B1CE-0914EA0AA4FA.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:

morior8

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2021
Don't know about the briar but, the rope work and cat are exquisite. Clean it up and try it out. The pipe may be a generic but, the handiwork makes it a oner I believe. First one like it I've seen.
That's what I was thinking, a generic but someone added the work to it later or the original owner had it commissioned or customized. I'll get it cleaned up and try it out soon enough. But yeah, haven't seen anything else quite like it anywhere.

morior8

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2021
I agree it looks like the metal work is after market. Nifty either way. Probably is a generic basket pipe. I doubt you'd find another like that. I think I've seen maybe three pipes like that over the years and never with any back story more detailed then the one you gave us.
Kinda wish I could have been there when he got it. But yeah probably right on the afterwork. Would be neat to see after work or something like this done by pipe makers in the future. I'd buy one.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Kinda wish I could have been there when he got it. But yeah probably right on the afterwork. Would be neat to see after work or something like this done by pipe makers in the future. I'd buy one.
Yeah I can see there being some interest in custom pipe bling (for lack of a better term). I am sure you could make a few bucks just off of the people on this list. I mean if you did work as nice as this.

morior8

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2021
Yeah I can see there being some interest in custom pipe bling (for lack of a better term). I am sure you could make a few bucks just off of the people on this list. I mean if you did work as nice as this.
I dunno if I have the skills though I'm sure with practice it could become a thing. Maybe I'll get some blanks and try out some inlays and wire/emblem work like this and see what comes of it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I dunno if I have the skills though I'm sure with practice it could become a thing. Maybe I'll get some blanks and try out some inlays and wire/emblem work like this and see what comes of it.
yeah I certainly would have to get a new skill set. But that doesn't mean I can't identify the potential market. That said I wouldn't even begin to know how much would be a fair price for either party.

You rang!!

That brasswork comes from a couple of French companies in the late 1800's. They used a press to mass produce the shapes, and some were attached with tiny little brads. I have a few pipes like that in the bulldog style. But, they were sold throughout Europe. Many didn't keep their brasswork, because it was easily dented or just torn off by more humble pipe smokers of the time.
Check out ebay for vintage briar pipes. There are still some out there, just not many. The ropework is very uncommon though. But, I'll bet it was from the first couple of years that briar was used in pipemaking.

As for what skills you'd need to do that. Ahhhhh.... I would have to first ask what skills you already know.

morior8

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2021
You rang!!

That brasswork comes from a couple of French companies in the late 1800's. They used a press to mass produce the shapes, and some were attached with tiny little brads. I have a few pipes like that in the bulldog style. But, they were sold throughout Europe. Many didn't keep their brasswork, because it was easily dented or just torn off by more humble pipe smokers of the time.
Check out ebay for vintage briar pipes. There are still some out there, just not many. The ropework is very uncommon though. But, I'll bet it was from the first couple of years that briar was used in pipemaking.

As for what skills you'd need to do that. Ahhhhh.... I would have to first ask what skills you already know.
Wow thanks for all the info! More than I could have hoped for on it honestly.

Dad seems pretty happy about it as well. He said it was just some treasure he kept all this time not knowing it was anything special. And it may not be worth much but sometimes any knowledge alone gives a thing a story to tell and that's worth more than all the gold in the world.

Suppose we'll clean it up a bit and use it, doesn't look like it'll fetch much on ebay from the looks of some of the other similar ones I've seen.

And as for my skills, I don't have a lot of crafting skills beyond basic wood carving and dremel work. I've never done wire or brasswork... well I've done chainmail but that's a bit less delicate. As for jeweling I've done wax metal casting. But I'm a pretty quick learner.

Last edited: