PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I came across this antique corn cob pipe box label on a box that I won on an eBay auction a few months ago. The box itself measures approx. 7-1/2" wide x 8-1/4" long x 3" high and appears to be an old turn-of-the-century general store display box for selling the manufacturer's cob pipes. The label says "Mascot Missouri Corn Cob Pipes" and it shows a Feb. 4, 1891 trademark in the upper right hand corner. Obviously this company was one of the early competitors to MM, but I haven't had any luck finding any info on the history of this company. I didn't know if any of you folks had come across info on this company in any of your travels. BTW, this box must have meant something to someone as the sides of the box had started to separate at the seams and someone actually took the time and care to actually hand whip stitch the seams back together with black thread. From the looks of the thread this was done some time ago.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thats pretty neat. I think I saw it on Ebay awhile back, but never seen any Mascot pipes. I've found literature on 1 or 2 other brands that I've never found any pipes for.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Nice find.. I have a "Phoenix AM Pipewks" Boonville Mo. that I had never seen before. Just a simple thin walled cob.... Would be cool to find a Mascot Cob. That would be an elusive hobby, to find cobs other than MMs......

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Interesting that I could not find the trademark in the US PTO Tess system. I can usually locate old dead records. Then again, if this was only a design trademark, the searching gets tough.
I think I've seen a Phoenix before. A long time ago, and, it was ancient then.

frogdude21

Lurker
Aug 14, 2016
I have one. It's the size of a modern day MM Wizard Cobbit, with a bone bit. I wish I could post a pic or two here, but I don't know how.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad used to buy what I think were Missouri Meerschaum pipes with reed stems in the 1950's. Or possibly these were the last of the Mascot brand. I wish he'd lived to be gifted with an Old Dominion with their reed stems; he'd have really liked those. This exhibit art is a real treasure. I especially like the diagram/illustration of the pipe and the logo. I'd love to know the story of the woman pictured in the logo, who she was or what she represented.

Status
Not open for further replies.