PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I always like seeing what are the top 10 tobacco's on smokingpipes.com. Here is another interesting list. The most cellared tobaccos on tobaccocellar.com.
Most cellared blends (by container):

1. Samuel Gawith-Full Virginia Flake with 2228 containers

2. A & C Petersen-Escudo Navy Deluxe with 1279 containers

3. Esoterica Tobacciana-Penzance with 1031 containers

4. Dunhill-Royal Yacht with 880 containers

5. Dunhill-Nightcap with 841 containers

6. Samuel Gawith-St. James Flake with 766 containers

7. Dunhill-Flake (new label) with 755 containers

8. Orlik-Golden Sliced (red) with 748 containers

9. Samuel Gawith-Squadron Leader with 718 containers

10. Samuel Gawith-Best Brown Flake with 698 containers

11. Esoterica Tobacciana-Stonehaven with 690 containers

12. Dunhill-My Mixture 965 with 688 containers

13. Dunhill-Early Morning Pipe with 662 containers

14. Wessex-Brigade Campaign Dark Flake with 647 containers

15. Scandinavian Tobacco Group-Escudo Navy Deluxe (new label) with 588 containers

16. Dunhill-London Mixture with 483 containers

17. MacBaren-HH Old Dark Fired with 481 containers

18. GL Pease-Union Square with 476 containers

19. Dunhill-Deluxe Navy Rolls with 469 containers

20. Balkan Sasieni-Balkan Sasieni with 460 containers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was surprised to find some of my unopened tins on the list. I'm usually a sort of outlier.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Nice list of great tobacco
34pxpib.jpg

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Please help me out here, because I'm having trouble reconciling some things.
Of the top 20 cellared tobaccos mentioned above, none are traditional aromatics.
Of the top 10 tinned tobaccos sold at smokingpipes.com, none are traditional aromatics.
Of the top 10 bulk tobaccos sold at smokingpipes.com, only 2 are traditional aromatics.
Yet it's "common knowledge" that aromatics make up, what? 90% of all tobacco sales?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yet it's "common knowledge" that aromatics make up, what? 90% of all tobacco sales?
Thought you meant that it did. If indeed it does, it just means that people are consuming it more readily than the stashes they have already purchased for aging as the aromatic shelf life isn't as long.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Thought you meant that it did. If indeed it does, it just means that people are consuming it more readily than the stashes they have already purchased for aging as the aromatic shelf life isn't as long.
That, and that OTC/aromatic smokers are not as likely to use sites like tobaccocellar.com or Pipes Magazine. They seem to just smoke what they like and that's that. As for Smoking Pipes, they don't seem to cater to that crowd as much as, say, Pipes and Cigars, who have more variety in OTCs.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
1. I spend 1-2 hours every Saturday in my local B&M and those Lane aromatics just fly off the shelf.

2. I believe Russ in a post even confirmed the 90% statistic.

3. Yay aromatics. They are part of hobby. Not smoking them is like being into golf, but not playing any of the par 3's on the course. Or being into wine but not drinking any whites.
I doubt most aro smokers cellar their tobacco or use tobaccocellar.com. (you can see mine there, I'm still natibo). Also, most aro smokers probably do not buy from smokingpipes.com.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
I have 17 of those 20.
I like FVF pretty well, but I can't explain its cult status, based on my experiences with it.
#1 by container count in my cellar is McCranie's Red Ribbon, I think? I need to go verify, now... :)

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I like FVF pretty well, but I can't explain its cult status, based on my experiences with it.
It was love at first smoke for me. I was surprised by that, too. It's very prep-dependent. Part of the reason I like it is that it never sounds bad. Other stuff might sound better, but if it was all I had, I'd be fine for a while. Plus it ages well. Plus, aside from a short period, it's widely available, and in the 250g boxes, it's pretty cheap. There's lots to like about that blend. I make a point of adding a 250g box to every order I place, then break it up into 4 jars, each just a shade more than 2oz.

Oct 12, 2014
---FVF is by far the leader. Almost double of the Escudo. ----
Escudo is on the list twice however..so FVF 2228 vs Escudo (old & new label) 1867
Not quite double...

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Interesting list no doubt.

I find it curious that not many people seem to be cellaring GL Pease blends.
Also as it has been pointed above, the online communities tend to gather those of us that hoard many poindd and keep a few tins open at a time. But we are rather few. The bulk of the market are the cogders who have been smoking the same aro in the same pipe for years, they buy it offline and don't participate in the forums. They probably go through a couple more oz a week than many of us have a chance to.

Status
Not open for further replies.