VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
The fact that people think the government is the solution, rather than the cause of the problem(s), guarantees that things will only get worse.

"We really need some regulation around it. We need to have licences."
~ Russell Fitzpatrick, a typical politician, who believes that government is the Great God.

"It's hugely frustrating and I've spoken to politicians both Liberal and Labor about it."
~ David Allen, a hotel owner, who wants the government to ensure his profits.

"If I wasn't doing the right thing, I'd be a millionaire by now."
~ Mat Evans, the only NSW cigarette wholesaler, who wants the government to make him rich.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Governments just don’t learn from history
They do. It's just obscured by their sadism.

government is the Great God.
In effect, it is. That's what "In God We Trust" on US currency means. Different god than the One everyone thinks this refers to! It's what a long departed teacher of mine repeatedly referred to as "the perfect swindle."

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I feel like it must be a combination of “it’s not technically illegal” and “no one is going to go black market for tobacco products”.
apparently black market tobacco has a long history and especially large share in Oz well before taxes went crazy on tobacco. First rule everyone wants to save a buck and buck the system to some extent. You can find varies forms of black market tobacco in most countries. It's rarely to the extent though that's been reported in Oz for whatever reason.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Some government regulation is necessary, especially in places where unregulated capitalists will destroy everything (economy, air, water healthcare, education) for a buck like they do in USA.
Australia's self made black market tobacco problem is obviously the result of regulation gone amok and some of it should be reversed.
This reminds me of the California legal pot market. They did the same thing there by taxing pot so heavily, it caused the black market to thrive.
Dummies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I spoke to a real life friend (you guys are imaginary) two days ago who confirmed tobacco in OZ is atleast 5x more than in my state in the US.

I've been keeping up with the tobacco purchases as much as possible for the past 5 years, just in case.

Reactions: OzPiper