PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Happy Holidays, Merry Xmas -
Last night it was quite damp out here - given I am an outdoor smoker - in a pinch as it was going to start raining again, I located and grabbed some neglected blends that have been sitting in plastic bags for several months
To my surprise, There was some small bag of Dunhill and larger of Match Elizebethan - gifted to me by another member
The Dunhill was close to bone dry,
The Elizebethan Match was damp, perfect humidity.
Loaded up a bowl with the Dunhill - as expected it was harsh, with a bit of ammonia and rough around the edges like smoking some D&R Blends - but not without it's latakia, sweet marshmellow charm - I don't know if it had to do with the atmosphere or the tobac but there was moisture left at the bottom of the bowl. It wasn't the worst smoking experience I'd rate it a 3.5 out of 5 -
Followed with the Match - The Match tasted like absolutely nothing - Nothing meaning like it lacked all but a feint tobacco flavor - I smoked this blend a few months ago and it was good- Not good now and low quality leaf~

So several questions are 1. What the heck happened to the flavor of the Match Elizebethan? It was kept moist 2. Can condensation occur at the bottom of the bowl due to the air or was the Dunhill wetter than I though? 3. Does it pay to re hydrate the Dunhills in the harsh state they are in, will it fix them?
I never thought a dry neglected blend would beat out a properly humid blend!~?
I learned a lesson though - if the moisture at the bottom of the bowl, did have to do with the humidity in the air - I would grab a dryer blend over a wet to prevent gurgles and lighting issues because if the dunhill was wetter I'd assume I'd have been caught in the rain ? ??.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So several questions are 1. What the heck happened to the flavor of the Match Elizebethan? It was kept moist 2. Can condensation occur at the bottom of the bowl due to the air or was the Dunhill wetter than I though? 3. Does it pay to re hydrate the Dunhills in the harsh state they are in, will it fix them?
1.) Could be too moist.
2.) Yes, cold air drawn into the fire will give up its moisture.
3.) I could hazard a guess if I knew what "dry" was. It varies so much by individual.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Yes, just weary of another lousy smoking experience when I have all types of better well kept stuff - I fugure when I smoke I typically like to LOVE it - guess I'll try it and if a few puffs stink I'll dump the bowl. Privilege Problems ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Yes, just weary of another lousy smoking experience when I have all types of better well kept stuff - I fugure when I smoke I typically like to LOVE it - guess I'll try it and if a few puffs stink I'll dump the bowl. Privilege Problems ?

I’ve grown weary and wary and kick myself for not going with a sure thing.

I’ve adopted the “parfeit” habit... 3/4 Granger topped with 1/4 something else.

When the something else is mediocre or disappointing, I know my friend will awaken in minutes.

If I’m enjoying the something else, I’ll light a fresh bowl of it and smoke the other pipe later.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I’ve grown weary and wary and kick myself for not going with a sure thing.

I’ve adopted the “parfeit” habit... 3/4 Granger topped with 1/4 something else.

When the something else is mediocre or disappointing, I know my friend will awaken in minutes.

If I’m enjoying the something else, I’ll light a fresh bowl of it and smoke the other pipe later.
Interesting method

Reactions: yanoJL

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Just remember that the term as it relates to the atmosphere is "Relative Humidity." That means the colder the air, the less moisture (water vapor) it is able to carry, even at 100% RH.

Also, one of the waste products of combustion is water vapor.

I speculate that if the outside of the bowl stays pretty cool compared to the usual for that pipe, it might be possible that more of the water vapor produced by the burning of tobacco could condense inside the stummel than usual, thus leaving behind a wetter pipe. The colder the air being sucked down into the bowl to provide oxygen for the fire, the less water vapor it is supplying into the bargain.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Just remember that the term as it relates to the atmosphere is "Relative Humidity." That means the colder the air, the less moisture (water vapor) it is able to carry, even at 100% RH.

Also, one of the waste products of combustion is water vapor.

I speculate that if the outside of the bowl stays pretty cool compared to the usual for that pipe, it might be possible that more of the water vapor produced by the burning of tobacco could condense inside the stummel than usual, thus leaving behind a wetter pipe. The colder the air being sucked down into the bowl to provide oxygen for the fire, the less water vapor it is supplying into the bargain.
This is interesting because I have a recently purchased estate Wally Frank that smokes wonderfully, but has also been very wet at the bottom of the bowl at the end of my smokes no matter what the blend. I don't have that issue in my meer or cob, which are the only other pipes I'm smoking right now, and I smoke exclusively outside (in Ohio).

Haven't been able to figure out why it gets so wet and maybe its something to do wiht the cold.
Like the OP, still not super clear why just this pipe, though.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
So, thinking about this more... most of my tobacco is probably on what I'd call the near dry to dry range.
Could it be that in the case of dry tobacco it burns relatively hotter and thereby causes the cold air to give up moisture more readily?

All my pipes are variations on straight billiard/apples, with the Frank being the largest bowl. While I don't really pack it with more tobacco, I suppose the actual surface area that is burning would be greater (wider, more oxygen intake), and therefore a hotter fire... giving up more moisture?

IDK, I'm just spitballin' here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is interesting because I have a recently purchased estate Wally Frank that smokes wonderfully, but has also been very wet at the bottom of the bowl at the end of my smokes no matter what the blend. I don't have that issue in my meer or cob, which are the only other pipes I'm smoking right now, and I smoke exclusively outside (in Ohio).

Haven't been able to figure out why it gets so wet and maybe its something to do wiht the cold.
Like the OP, still not super clear why just this pipe, though.
It's wet because the previous smoker smoked wet. Resting it for weeks won't drive out as much moisture as smoking it fully to the bottom a half dozen times.

Reactions: JOHN72 and coyja

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."

~Anaïs Nin

Smart cookie, that Anais Nin

How long have these tobaccos been sitting around in baggies? I haven't found that to be a good way to preserve blends for more than a week or so.

The dried out Dunhill can become harsh if smoked too hard. Most blends will. Burley's see to be more forgiving in that respect.
How moist was the Match Elizabethan? Virginias offer more flavor when smoked just shy of bone dry, so moister generally equates with less flavor.

And there are other factors since you're an outdoor smoke, which is about 99.9 percent of the time, what I do. Temperature, humidity, etc certainly can affect burn rate, how you pick up flavors, etc.

Smoking a Virginia immediately after smoking an English can make the Virginia seem tasteless. They're much subtler flavor profiles.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Smart cookie, that Anais Nin

How long have these tobaccos been sitting around in baggies? I haven't found that to be a good way to preserve blends for more than a week or so.

The dried out Dunhill can become harsh if smoked too hard. Most blends will. Burley's see to be more forgiving in that respect.
How moist was the Match Elizabethan? Virginias offer more flavor when smoked just shy of bone dry, so moister generally equates with less flavor.

And there are other factors since you're an outdoor smoke, which is about 99.9 percent of the time, what I do. Temperature, humidity, etc certainly can affect burn rate, how you pick up flavors, etc.

Smoking a Virginia immediately after smoking an English can make the Virginia seem tasteless. They're much subtler flavor profiles.
Best response so far Sable- Yes the Dry Dunhills were harsh albeit flavorful
Sitting in bags for a few months within another nylon pouch
The Match was pretty moist to touch - so yes maybe a bit too wet hence low flavor as a follow to the intense Dunhill
and this seems accurate as well:
"Smoking a Virginia immediately after smoking an English can make the Virginia seem tasteless. They're much subtler flavor profiles."

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
might already be said but sometimes environment effects the smoke. If it's raining and the humidity is high it will make the tobacco smoke wetter. Which can take out flavor. I've experienced this before and while it's not a super big effect as in if it's just dry enough to impart more flavor and it's rainy and humid it bumps it back up to too wet.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee