PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
This is the first Bo I have ever seen come up for auction, not Buy it Now. His pipes historically are near the highest priced pipes and exceedingly difficult to find.

I bought the fishnbanjo Nordh , great history behind it, but it has terrible nomenclature and a stem stuck sideways . Nice smoker , stem is actually very comfortable twisted to the left , but it would be nice to have a functioning stem .

I am bidding on said pipe so no conflict of interest . Only posting because I am certain it will surpass my bid. FBA264D7-0C11-4EE1-83A4-9845D11FC53C.jpeg2C425050-9CAA-4872-9B9E-CC7BB67CBED6.png4FA40A21-72E0-467A-A971-34AFB38B1284.png

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
A lovely, tasteful billiard. The flared stem where it meets the shank seems to have become almost universal among today's pipe carvers. Presumably, he was a the inventor of that design.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What's in a name? The pipe does have beautiful birdseye and decent lines, but these lofty prices have zip to do with the pipe's smoking quality. If will be interesting to see just how high a price it gets.
I think you're being kind. If that exact same pipe had a no name carver nomenclature, or a factory pipe, it would be lucky to fetch $200.

Reactions: FLDRD and alan73

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think you're being kind. If that exact same pipe had a no name carver nomenclature, or a factory pipe, it would be lucky to fetch $200.
Absolutely! Nordh represents to me a section of the smoking pipe market, much like sections of other markets, where a sort of exuberant irrationality reigns supreme. The Leonardo of pipes producing a tiny grouping of singular perfection only possible because they were polished against the smooth thighs of Swedish farm girls between the ages of 18 and 18 and a half during Octoberfest.

Reactions: alan73
I made a reasonable guess that it would go under $10K. There are always two prices - One is a price when it would eventually sell, the second one is a price which will make a quick sale. An auction is a quick sale - which is a win-win; The buyer gets it cheaper while the seller does not have his money locked up in inventory.

I read somewhere (I think in Rick Newcombe’s book) - The highest ever price fetched by a Bo Nordh was well above $30,000.

There will be a lot of focused pipe collectors who can afford a $30K pipe. However I would guess the target market is much lower of people who would not mind spending $30K whenever a desirable pipe pops up.

I want to get a Bo eventually. This however did not move me enough to take up the extremely difficult task of convincing the wife why a piece of wood costs $10K ?

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
If you’re serious try George; if someone does better stemwork I haven’t seen it.
I have already contacted him . I’ve tried everything from a long deep freeze to dehumidifiers. Basically he said got twist it til it breaks or comes free … replacement stems are not optimal from a collector standpoint I’d rather not snap it

Reactions: jguss