PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
What blends are you smoking now, and how many blends do you have open ?
If you only have 2 pipes, I would encourage you to get a 3rd(doesn't have to be expensive).

That way you will have one for aromatics, one for Latakia/Oriental blends and one for everything else.

I don't much mind smoking an aromatic blend in a pipe where I've smoked a Virginia/VaPer previously or vice versa.
I find that Latakia/Orientals will ghost other genres, so I tend to keep my Latakia/Oriental pipes separate
Thanks so much. I guess I have some reading to do so I can figure out what I got.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Two main questions. Tobacco: Smoke what you like. Pipe: It's been mentioned, this depends on how sensitive you are. What that means is if you are kinda person who doesn't mind peas touching carrots, steak, mashed potatoes, smoke everything in one pipe. Some do it. If you break out into hives looking at fruit topped yogurt, you might want few pipes to smoke each pipe with similar blends or one pipe per blend. Depends on how sensitive you are. Most are somewhere in between. Usually, a pipe is dedicated to a genre.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Two main questions. Tobacco: Smoke what you like. Pipe: It's been mentioned, this depends on how sensitive you are. What that means is if you are kinda person who doesn't mind peas touching carrots, steak, mashed potatoes, smoke everything in one pipe. Some do it. If you break out into hives looking at fruit topped yogurt, you might want few pipes to smoke each pipe with similar blends or one pipe per blend. Depends on how sensitive you are. Most are somewhere in between. Usually, a pipe is dedicated to a genre.
Thanks for the help. Do most smokers usually have a different pipe for each type of aro? Like one for only cherry?

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Like some of the other folks on here, I highly recommend getting a few corn cob pipes. They are great "test pipes" for blends that might make your every day pipes taste funky, and they are also great to have on hand as a give away pipe. You never know when someone in the wild might compliment your pipe and get that wistful look like they wished they could try it.
With my briar pipes, I have them broken down into "pipes for blends with latakia", "pipes for Virginias, VaPers" and "pipes for aromatics"
I usually smoke aromatics that are in the non fruity flavor profiles...usually alcohol or chocolate/vanilla, so if I was to get something very licorice or fruity, I'd smoke it in one of my test cobs.

As far as other aromatics to try, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. It's a good, tasty, satisfying smoke that doesn't bite, and the room note is quite good.
I like the Cult Blood Red Moon infinitely better than I like the Mac Baren Seven Seas Red (as far as cherry blends go).

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Thanks for the help. Do most smokers usually have a different pipe for each type of aro? Like one for only cherry?
Some do, some don't. I smoke everything in the same pipes. If I smoke a heavier blend, like one with Latakia and it ghosts the pipe (leaves a residue flavor tainting all future smokes) then I just clean it out either by rinsing with water or do a 24 hour salt and alcohol cleaning (see youtube). Corncobs are great low maintenance pipes once the corn flavor goes away - usually 4-5 smokes. They smoke just as well as briar sometimes better depending on the tobacco you choose and they do last a long time (years). Lighter aromatics don't ghost as much so don't worry about that in the beginning.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Like I said, depends on the individual. Pipe smoking is rather very subjective and individual activity. The answer to your question and many other things about pipe smoking depend on you.

Reactions: Bassman65

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hello from a fellow Canuck! I'd highly recommend the Country Squire's aromatics, they are top notch. There are no shortage of tobaccos to try, but we here in Canada either pay through the nose domestically for poor selection, or risk customs by importing.

Like some others have stated, I have pipes that I dedicated to three different pipe genres: Latakia, Aromatics, and plain ol' Burley/Virginia blends (plus a couple cheaper pipes that will get anything and everything).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
No. Not on this forum. You guys all great. Just seems like my game needs upping from my drugstore brand. Just smoked what my dad did. Small town Ontario. Now that I have options, I’d like to try something new.
not big into drugs store blends, yet two of my favorites are drug store blends. Five Brothers and Sail Yellow. Both pretty straight forward tobacco with a little extra something.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
My favorite aromatic is Arrowhead from Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint. To have it shipped, you need to order by phone. The store is well worth the visit if in the Flint area.

Arrowhead is a kitchen sink aromatic (think 1-Q on steroids), with vanilla, caramel, a touch of Latakia, Virginia's, black Cavendish, and a few other flavors and tobaccos.

Paul's has a variety of other house blended aromatics and is an institution.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You don't need multiple pipes, but they are nice to have. Don't mix Aros with straight tobacco unless you really don't mind the ghosting. There are literally zillions of Aros to try so close your eyes and pick one.