PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Yep, in my opinion, a pre-bored block is the best way to start out. And as you were already told, you can do a lot with a dremel. That's how I got started.
But then I got carried away and now have an entire shop dedicated to making pipes. But I've enjoyed every minute of it and continue too. I can now go all the way from a raw briar block to a finished pipe and can even make a stem, if I don't get in a hurry. :)
Have any questions feel free to ask away. You can even PM me if need be. I got lots of help when I was starting out and find joy in paying that part back by helping others.

jbmills

Might Stick Around
Jul 23, 2011
:D well with my limited finances I'm sure I'll be sticking with a rasp and sandpaper for the time being with dreams of a lathe to come.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Well that will make number 3 lathe for me. My old Craftsman that I am modifying for large diameter turning. My 14x43 woodlathe that I am using for pipes and other turning now. The 9x19 is a metal lathe that will be doing double duty for pipes and spinning wheel parts.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I'm with unclearthur, started out with a 10x14 Delta wood lathe all tooled up (Still have it) then purchased a small metal lathe, only to find that it was too small for doing much. So I then found a nice Jet 9x20 metal lathe on Craigslist and now have it all tooled up for pipe making. Including a rest for using turning tools.
I also picked up a sherline mini mill and use it to make pipe making tools, another thing I enjoy doing.
I am loving the new shop though, as with the temps above 100 every day, I can still work in there as I was smart and added an air conditioner when I was building it.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
All I have is a H/frt 4" belt sander-1"x30"belt sander-bench drill press-hand drill and a dermal style rotary drill with flex shaft.

3 hours in the afternoon out side on a bench (in the shade) and a full pipe or two.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.