PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I wish they made a mini version of this type of knife.. even the smallest Opinel is still appears to be pretty heavy. I prefer a very small pocket knife, it's a struggle to keep from having too much stuff in my pockets..
Even their keychain knife is too big? That thing is seriously tiny. It doesn't lock though.

Serious question, not being an ass.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I ordered the Old Bear 3" carbon steel version from Chicago Knife Works, and it cost me a buck or two less than my similar Opinel bought from a local retailer even with shipping. I can't have too many carbon steel blade folding knives. Thanks for the enabling ... I mean the heads up! Folding knives are a collection I don't even mean to collect; they collect me.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I always heard good things about MAM knives as well.

I really am a fan of 12c27 as a budget stainless though (which Opinel uses). I think MAM is 420 as well.

Now, Buck's 420HC is a good steel.

gKXlAlU.jpg

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I do love my opinal, but prefer my mora companion for cutting plugs. For anything other then cutting rope, I just never trusted folding knives, I always feel like they are going to fold in on my finger. Fixed blades for me.

Reactions: cossackjack

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I just never trusted folding knives, I always feel like they are going to fold in on my finger. Fixed blades for me. "

Mr Mike, Opinel knives do actually have a blade locking system, a crude one yes but it works.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: mso489 and BROBS

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Many of my distant relatives in Sheffield were involved in the cutlery industry from basic table knife cutlers, spring knife grinders, scale cutters (scales were part of the structure of a folding knife) to actual manufacturers. My cousin Thomas Ellin (1799 - 1847) was a huge manufacturer and was made Master Cutler of Sheffield in 1841 as was his father, also Thomas Ellin in 1833.

Of course 'cutlery' is only actually anything that cuts, forks & spoons are not cutlery!

Regards,

Jay.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
View attachment 34860

Tamper... Screwdriver.. nail clippers.. I carry this one everywhere. Its the same one my Granddad carried for years. I just ordered a small Opinel so I don't lose this one.. or further wear it out.
I have a Case that belonged to my wife’s grandfather. It’s worn out from years of sharpening, and pretty useless as a knife now. I’m tempted to send it to them to have them put new blades in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.