Started 2018-19. Immediate hits I still enjoy greatly:

Squadron Leader
Maltese Falcon
Reiners Long Golden Flake
Old Gowrie
HU Makhuwa
HU Director's Cut.
Capstan Blue

These are also the ones I try to stash up on (Maltese Falcon the only one's complicated due to me being based over the other side of the pond)

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Most of my loves developed over time, but a few that were from the first bowl include --
  • Penzance
  • HH Pure VA
  • J.M.'s Private Stock
A couple of loves-at-first-bowl which are now discontinued include:
  • Ennerdale (original, not the under-sauced stuff you get now)
  • Wessex Classic VA (the original straight red, discontinued around 2014, NOT the yellow VaPer they replaced it with after that)
And a few loves-at-first-bowl which lasted a long time but eventually waned, include:
  • Plum Pudding
  • Northwoods
  • FMC
Then there have been some loves-at-first-bowl which were not loves-at-second-bowl, or ever after, such as Marlin Flake. Not sure what happened there...
What changed for those that waned?
Your taste, or the tobacco?

Reactions: SBC

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Arango Balkan Supreme
Rattray's Red Rapparee
Country Squire Shepherd's Pie

Watch City Elf Dandruff
Gawith Ennerdale

C&D Sun Bear / Black Locust
C&D Folklore

Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (SWRA)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottmi

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Last year I loved English blends, Virginias, and VaPers. Then I caught the you-know-what virus and my sense of smell changed. The blends previously beloved tasted horrible. In the Spring I found two blends which taste good to me, Alexander Bridge and Orlik Mellow Mixture. Why they taste good and my previous favorites do not, who can say?

Last week I had a bowl of Eastfarthing. It tasted wonderful! It was hitting all the notes which my old favorites did. So perhaps this means my sense of smell is coming back to more like it was? Or maybe it is changing to something altogether new?

So my plan is to rotate between my three "new favorites" and just try an old one once in a while and see what happens. Maybe by Christmas there will be a whole raft of new favorites for me? Or else somebody on the forum will receive a big Secret Santa box!! 😜

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Last year I loved English blends, Virginias, and VaPers. Then I caught the you-know-what virus and my sense of smell changed. The blends previously beloved tasted horrible. In the Spring I found two blends which taste good to me, Alexander Bridge and Orlik Mellow Mixture. Why they taste good and my previous favorites do not, who can say?

Last week I had a bowl of Eastfarthing. It tasted wonderful! It was hitting all the notes which my old favorites did. So perhaps this means my sense of smell is coming back to more like it was? Or maybe it is changing to something altogether new?

So my plan is to rotate between my three "new favorites" and just try an old one once in a while and see what happens. Maybe by Christmas there will be a whole raft of new favorites for me? Or else somebody on the forum will receive a big Secret Santa box!! 😜
Wasn't Orlik Mellow Mixture discontinued?

mosin1932

Lurker
Jan 10, 2023
My favorite tobaccos had to grow on me for the most part to really appreciate them, those are the ones I still smoke vs. the ones I liked off the bat don't stay in rotation very long on average. The exceptions being:
-Orlik Golden Sliced
-Scottish Mixture
-Plum Pudding

and my favorite tobacco of all time, which I try not to smoke too much of for fear that I'll get burned out on it...

-Half and Half, lol