SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Yes, and limited use of the Calabash in his portrayal which Holmes didn’t smoke until William Gillette portrayed him on the stage. It’s a bit like Bond’s vodka Martini I suppose, which are Vesper Martinis in the books.

I always like when he got into the cocaine and opium to Holmes' dismay.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
I just corrected myself on Midsomer murders, I was mixing the title with Shakespeare!

Jan 27, 2020
Well, getting back to the original Morse, I also like the production of the show. The opening sequences are rather enigmatic and the choice of music is interesting (not speaking of his love of Wagner), also the cinemograph is both straight forward yet manages to give the show a distinct feel. Some of the earlier British shows I like have the feeling of a play that's been filmed and Morse has a tinge of that at times.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
@puff_not_snuff
Thanks for starting this thread. I am a big fan of British comedy but I don’t know much about British crime/detective series. I have only watched (and really enjoyed) Luther, Sherlock and Poirot. I now have hours of new to me programs to investigate.
Hours? Months, perhaps a year's worth of watching 24/7!!

I reckon I've watched well over 1000 hours of Brit drama. Local PBS, Brit box, PBS Passport, Apple TV. occasionally HBO and others.

Watch "Slow Horses" for an American made flick that's indistinguishable from a neat English drama.

Enjoy!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Hours? Months, perhaps a year's worth of watching 24/7!!

I reckon I've watched well over 1000 hours of Brit drama. Local PBS, Brit box, PBS Passport, Apple TV. occasionally HBO and others.

Watch "Slow Horses" for an American made flick that's indistinguishable from a neat English drama.

Enjoy!
I’ll be checking out Slow Horses tonight! Thanks for the tip - Anything with Gary Oldman deserves a considered look.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've heard of Inspector Morse and seen it on the Britbox app, but never watched it until yesterday. I watched the first two episodes from 1987(?). Britbox shows eight seasons...I'm going to be busy. So far, so good.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I subscribe to a YouTube channel, MurderMysteries (no space), that has more than 300 episodes of British T.V. series.

Here's what you can watch:

Inspector Morse - 33 episodes
Inspector Lewis - 34
Doctor Blake Mysteries - 44
Sherlock Holmes w Jeremy Brett - 42
Sherlock Holmes w Basil Rathbone - 13
Sherlock Holmes w Matt Frewer - 4
Maigret w Michael Gambon - 12
Vera - 40
Cracker - 12
P.D. James - 36
Agatha Christie's Poirot - 77
Cadfael-13
plus more.

Plus there are some full length movies, Edward G Robinson, Alfred Hitchcock and others.

If you're interested in these shows and you don't have Britbox or Acorn, you can watch many of them here.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Endeavor was my best, George Gently afterwards, British shows are very good, better than American detective shows IMHO,
Iam waiting for series 8 of Endeavour to be shown on ITV.
I especially enjoy Endeavour/(young Morse) relationship with his pipe smoking first Inspector who fought in Italy with the partisans and spent time with the Soho vice squad before moving to Oxford. He is rarely parted from his pipe and Trilby hat.

Jan 27, 2020
@puff_not_snuff
Thanks for starting this thread. I am a big fan of British comedy but I don’t know much about British crime/detective series. I have only watched (and really enjoyed) Luther, Sherlock and Poirot. I now have hours of new to me programs to investigate.

Glad to be of service! I like British comedy too and I'm one of the few Americans I've spoken to who grew up watching Red Dwarf on PBS. Ever see that show?

Speaking of Morse I found the use to Last Tango in Paris in s1 e2 to be really clever. Also, enjoyed seeing the the actor who played the husband in Keeping Up Appearances in a different role.

I must admit sometimes even after Morse solves the murder I'm still a bit confused as to what exactly happened and why.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I do know Red Dwarf although it’s not a favorite. I grew up in Canada and I can’t remember if I watched it on American PBS or on a Canadian channel.

I looking forward to checking out
Glad to be of service! I like British comedy too and I'm one of the few Americans I've spoken to who grew up watching Red Dwarf on PBS. Ever see that show?

Speaking of Morse I found the use to Last Tango in Paris in s1 e2 to be really clever. Also, enjoyed seeing the the actor who played the husband in Keeping Up Appearances in a different role.

I must admit sometimes even after Morse solves the murder I'm still a bit confused as to what exactly happened and why.
I do know Red Dwarf although it’s not a favorite. I grew up in Canada and I can’t remember if I watched it on American PBS or on a Canadian channel.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to checking out Morse and some of the others mentioned I this thread
Thanks again.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
If you're familiar with your 'morse code' there's a message to decipher at the end of every episode.....apparently.
Always preferred Endeavour myself. The late author of morse always used to appear as an extra in Endeavour, similar to Hitchcock's cameos.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Little of topic but still related to shows from the UK.

Doctor Who was one of my favorite BBC shows until the show runners decided to screw it up a couple of years ago. I don't mind the Doctor being a woman, but it was the scripts and deciding to make too many episodes of social commentary that put me off. I also didn't like the actor picked to play the Doctor. She played to much as a clown for my taste.

I thought it would have been better to bring in Alex Kingston or Jenna Coleman to be the Doctor. I also think John Barrowman would be good in the Doctor role.