SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I just discovered the British detective drama Inspector Morse. Wow, what a show! I'm amazed when I find yet another British TV show that I didn't know about despite watching many that seems even better than the ones I previously thought were the very amazing. This show has far more nuance, complexity and character development than many of my favorites and John Thaw is just incredible as the title character. Has anyone watched this in its entirety? I am only a few episodes in, not really something to binge as it's really a show that requires full attention and each episode is rather long and engrossing.

BryLogan

Lurker
Jun 5, 2021
Washington, DC
Inspector Morse used to be a staple on the PBS stations in my area until about 5 or 6 years ago, so I think I’ve probably seen each episode at least 3 times each. It was one of the truly great crime dramas of all time. It’s sequel series, “Lewis”, to my mind, continues its excellence. I have never been able to get into its prequel series “Endeavor“ however.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
We've watched a number of entertaining BBC/Acorn detective shows but for everyone we watched, there were at least two or three we tried to watch that we couldn't get into. Haven't tried Inspector Morse yet.

Some of the ones we enjoyed:

Midsommer Murders
Foyle's War
George Gently
Death in Paradise
Brokenwood Mysteries
My Life is Murder
Hamish Macbeth
Mystery Road
New Tricks
DCI Banks

BryLogan

Lurker
Jun 5, 2021
Washington, DC
Despite it’s sometimes ludicrous scenarios, I enjoyed Midsomer Murders until John Nettles left the show. The “acting”(?) of Neil Dudgeon (his replacement) leaves me non-plussed.

I loved Death in Paradise until the wholesale cast changes after about the fourth year. Similarly, I liked DCI Banks until they killed off the Annie character.

Foyle’s War is excellent.

BryLogan

Lurker
Jun 5, 2021
Washington, DC
I really enjoy the English shows.

I have subscriptions to BritBox and Acorn.

I’ve watched all of the above and just finished Hidden and Vera.

I’m probably a loner, but I liked the continued actor changes in Death in Paradise. According to to the trivia the series was designed that way.
Ha! Didn"t know that the personnel changes were part of the series concept, but it puts things in a greater perspective for me. I thought there must be some sort of disarray in the production company that caused so many actors to enter and disappear. ?

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I just discovered the British detective drama Inspector Morse. Wow, what a show! I'm amazed when I find yet another British TV show that I didn't know about despite watching many that seems even better than the ones I previously thought were the very amazing. This show has far more nuance, complexity and character development than many of my favorites and John Thaw is just incredible as the title character. Has anyone watched this in its entirety? I am only a few episodes in, not really something to binge as it's really a show that requires full attention and each episode is rather long and engrossing.
I just bought the entire series to re-watch, unfortunately off Ebay (lightly watched), the first 8 disks of 19 are unreadable by the DVD player and must be damaged or worn out. I didn't pay much though and its a very expensive series. Its a series that a little too heavy to binge watch otherwise its sets the standard for novels into series. The PD James Dalgliesh mysteries with Roy Marsden are in the same vein - Excellent.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
There's something about English detective shows that are so comforting. I have all of the Hercule Poirot series, Miss Marple, and others. I also like the Father Brown series, although the books are better.

Come to think of it the books are better in all of the Agatha Christie novels as well, but the shows are fun to watch.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've watched the whole series a couple of times. It's one of the best of breed, like Prime Suspect. Also worth watching are the series Inspector Lewis and Endeavor. Inspector Lewis continues the story following the career of Morse's partner. Endeavor is about the early day's of Morse's career. Both are excellent.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Morse is simply top drawer. There are only 33 episodes of it is very easy to view. Lewis was the first sequel to Morse and it is superb. It is also about 33 episodes. Endeavor is the prequel to Morse and focuses on his early years as a young detective. It has 32 episodes in its eight seasons. Season which I believe is in production now will be the final season of Endeavour. So it will be slightly longer than Morse and Lewis. I watch the shows on Acorn.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Morse is simply top drawer. There are only 33 episodes of it is very easy to view. Lewis was the first sequel to Morse and it is superb. It is also about 33 episodes. Endeavor is the prequel to Morse and focuses on his early years as a young detective. It has 32 episodes in its eight seasons. Season which I believe is in production now will be the final season of Endeavour. So it will be slightly longer than Morse and Lewis. I watch the shows on Acorn.
I think Endeavor one of the best shows ever.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Lovejoy - about an antique dealer/private detective with Ian McShane of Al Sweerengen, ‘Deadwood’ fame. Filmed in the ‘80’s.
don’t think it’s on Britbox but there might be different content in the U.S? Episodes on YouTube.

Has anyone offered up Maigret yet?

To be honest, everything after Sherlock Holmes seems to me to be a rip off of him, in one guise or another; I normally stick to the original and the best. ?️‍♂️

Jan 27, 2020
I picked up some potential future watching in this thread, thanks all!

I tried Death in Paradise but my GF gave it a veto, not sure why. I will try to revisit. So many good shows seem to also have bad first episodes as well as the many crappy shows.

For those who like Prime Suspect (WOW HELEN MIRRIN IS SUCH A BABE IN THAT) Luther is also good and has a similar vibe.

@Hillcrest Morse is avail. on Britbox via Prime. I've been debating buying the DVD set of Homicide: Life on the Streets to re-watch as it's one of my all time favorite American shows but it's similarly expensive.

While a bit formulaic Father Cadfael is a great older British show.

@mav I agree their is something very comforting about many British detective shows but can't put my finger on it.

Cheers!

• Love
Reactions: edger and kcghost
Jan 27, 2020
Lovejoy - about an antique dealer/private detective with Ian McShane of Al Sweerengen, ‘Deadwood’ fame. Filmed in the ‘80’s.
don’t think it’s on Britbox but there might be different content in the U.S? Episodes on YouTube.

Has anyone offered up Maigret yet?

To be honest, everything after Sherlock Holmes seems to me to be a rip off of him, in one guise or another; I normally stick to the original and the best. ?️‍♂️

Their will never be a Sherlock that comes anywhere close to Jeremy Brett's. He was simply astounding in that role.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I picked up some potential future watching in this thread, thanks all!

I tried Death in Paradise but my GF gave it a veto, not sure why. I will try to revisit. So many good shows seem to also have bad first episodes as well as the many crappy shows.

For those who like Prime Suspect (WOW HELEN MIRRIN IS SUCH A BABE IN THAT) Luther is also good and has a similar vibe.

@Hillcrest Morse is avail. on Britbox via Prime. I've been debating buying the DVD set of Homicide: Life on the Streets to re-watch as it's one of my all time favorite American shows but it's similarly expensive.

While a bit formulaic Father Cadfael is a great older British show.

@mav I agree their is something very comforting about many British detective shows but can't put my finger on it.

Cheers!
Luther is fantastic. I love how dark it is!!

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Their will never be a Sherlock that comes anywhere close to Jeremy Brett's. He was simply astounding in that role.
Yes, and limited use of the Calabash in his portrayal which Holmes didn’t smoke until William Gillette portrayed him on the stage. It’s a bit like Bond’s vodka Martini I suppose, which are Vesper Martinis in the books.