PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
While smoking a clay pipe yesterday I needed to clench so I was holding the pipe deep in my mouth. Unbeknown to me the clay stem had stuck to the lining of my lower lip. When I removed the pipe it tore the lining. Ouch! Has this happened to others? I wont be doing that again when I smoke a clay.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
Yes the bowl gets hot so you need to hold the stem. They were popular in the 18th and 19th centuries because they are so cheap. I still like that about them and the fact that you can buy clays made from 200 year old molds.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
I think I have just figured out a good solution. I'm going to put some shrink wrap on the clay stem. Although not very traditional and maybe not hygienic, it should prevent lip adhesion.

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
I'm sorry to hear of your injury, I hope your recovering well. I'm normally a clencher with my briars but I have never done that with my clays, I'm afraid of breaking the stem. It's common for the clay to stick to my lips and I lick the tip of the pipe to keep it moist. If you like clays I would suggest getting one of the pipes made with a coating on the stem or coating your own clays with wax. This fella has some nice ones:
http://www.tinderbox.co.nz/clay_pipe_store.html
It's been suggested to me also to dip the stem in a glass of Guinness beer before smoking. :D

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The clays to buy are glazed at the end of the stem. Because plain clays stick to one's lips, I wouldn't smoke one on a "triple dog dare".

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
After they've been smoked a bit they dun stick as much -- though after you fire them you'll have to be reaaly careful.
licking the tip, putting on a wax coating, or buying them coated all work -- the bear thing would work well too, and if you like the taste would impart at least some it to your smoke, though I can't say how much without trying it, and I hate beer so I won't be doing that. The cleanliness of the pipe would also affect how much the beer soaked in.
Clays start off tasting -only- of the tobacco in them -- well and just a tiny bit of clay, which seems like a totally different thing rather than melding with the normal tastes.
Be careful clenching. . . you think lip lining hurt, what happens when you break the stem would likely be worse ha ha.
they take certain kinds of abuse very well, and certain others very poorly.
Still, on the all I'm starting to like them more than briars, and they can be smoked repeatedly without rest. My favourite, though I've only had it about a week is already starting to season well.

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
Have several older pipe smokers in my family who have only smoked the clay pipes over the years. Thinking back I don't really recall any of them holding the pipe ( clenching ) in their mouth due to the fragile and hot nature of the pipe.

Definitely have seen them brake most every inch of the pipe in one way or another.

Bottom line, they smoke really nice and will last if you treat them right.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Hot wax dip or Guinness dip will prevent sticking. Never tried the shrink tube idea for clays though I have used it on vulcanite stems.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Not having smoked a Clay any shorter than a Churchwarden, this problem

has not been one of mine... Cortezattic has the right idea. Clay Pipes

demand attention to avoid heat related problems.

7thearl

Lurker
Jan 23, 2012
I just dip the end about two inches in spring water for a few seconds, then let the water drip out or suck the rest out.. I guess you can do that with beer but it tastes so I stick with water... it actually makes an even cooler smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.