PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

attic_piper

Lurker
Sep 22, 2023
Central Virginia
I love a lot of C&D burley blends. Burley Flake 1&2 are incredibly full bodied, very rich and satisfying smokes. C&D Redburn is a bit less full bodied and has a very slight rum topping, but it's a very straightforward, easy to enjoy crumble cake with a pleasant room note. I can easily smoke several back to back bowls of that. GL Pease Penny Farthing is shag cut burley and virginia with a bit of dark fired. Maybe the most complex of the four I'm suggesting and the shag cut is an interesting change of pace.

attic_piper

Lurker
Sep 22, 2023
Central Virginia
C&D Burley Flakes No 1 and No 3 are my favorite burleys and smoke both at least once or twice a week. I also smoke No 2 and No 4 fairly often. I'm pretty sure I tried Penny Farthing when it came out it wasn't to my taste. Probably need to revisit.
Penny Farthing is completely different to the burley flakes, which I also smoke pretty often. It's no surprise either, since apparently it's virginia, perique, and dark fired only; no burley. I just smoked a tin of it a couple weeks ago and already forgot its components!

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I would recommend GH Rum Flake. I know, it's not got a lot of burley in it, but to me it has a flavor profile similar to old codger burley blends, only stronger. Some say they taste Lakeland or dark fired in it; I don't. It's just smooth and sweet and 'dark' tasting. And readily available.

Reactions: JOHN72
G

Gimlet

I've got some of this on order. Will post my thoughts when it arrives.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Coincidental to the post above, I just wanted to share that I had a "breakthrough" burley moment today with Solani ABF. In the interest of full disclosure, I have not tried a lot of burley heavy blends, perhaps six or seven at most. Eight State was pretty good. Golden Extra was fair. Pegasus left me with a strong desire to ditch the genre entirely, or at least give it a break for a while. I figured that, based on the Pegasus experience, I would not like either Haunted Bookshop or OJK.

My breakthrough moment came this Thanksgiving afternoon, by way of my Stefano Santambrogio bent Rhodesian. The ABF was so damn smooth, it was surprisingly VA-like, almost like a VA with an identity crisis. Didn't taste harsh at all, and no notes of dirt or walrus feces. And pleasantly rich on the retrohale. Dare I say...I actually really liked it! Great for a cold autumn day when I'm not in the mood for latakia.

It's safe to say I have found my burley unicorn. Highly recommend this one.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Coincidental to the post above, I just wanted to share that I had a "breakthrough" burley moment today with Solani ABF. In the interest of full disclosure, I have not tried a lot of burley heavy blends, perhaps six or seven at most. Eight State was pretty good. Golden Extra was fair. Pegasus left me with a strong desire to ditch the genre entirely, or at least give it a break for a while. I figured that, based on the Pegasus experience, I would not like either Haunted Bookshop or OJK.

My breakthrough moment came this Thanksgiving afternoon, by way of my Stefano Santambrogio bent Rhodesian. The ABF was so damn smooth, it was surprisingly VA-like, almost like a VA with an identity crisis. Didn't taste harsh at all, and no notes of dirt or walrus feces. And pleasantly rich on the retrohale. Dare I say...I actually really liked it! Great for a cold autumn day when I'm not in the mood for latakia.

Dont know how fresh your Pegasus was but I find if you jar it if even for a few weeks it becomes a different animal entirely after a bit of time to breathe I did not like it at first but then it opened up one weekend for me and I almost finished the tin in two days.

I really dig ABF but then again one of my mains is Five Brothers which some I'm sure think is foul , I'm excited it to compare Wessex Burley Slice ,a lot of ABF devotes have good things to say about that one too, but I'm still waiting till my palate returns back to normal to compare.

I'm also excited to go through all my Tabac De La Semois , I remember the La Volute , it was super floral tasting unlike anything I'd ever had and with a huge cut, like ripped up by hand whole leaf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Servant King

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Not sure if you are talking about a pure burley blend or a burley forward, but G&H makes a few blends that feature primarily burley. The burley that they use is unique to them and is less nutty than others. Also, its quite strong too. By the way, Wessex just had a few drops recently and is available at some online stores. Just search for it.

G

Gimlet

Just tried my second bowl of ABF. It arrived yesterday and I tried it in a pipe that wasn't cleaned or rested, so not a fair assessment.
Trying it again now in a fresh pipe that's been cleaned with spirit and properly rested.
My views are much the same as yours. It is extremely smooth and creamy. The flake is lovely. Thin, just the right moisture content and rubs out very easily. It's a lovely mellow, warm smoke with a nutty, woody tone and perhaps a tiny hint of spice in the background, rather like perique. In fact it reminds me of Peterson's Elizabethan Blend.
A very fine burley. I'll definitely be adding it to my list of regulars.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Glad you found one. I will second the vote for HU Makhuwa if you continue your search. I don’t usually care for burley but this stuff is magic.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
In all seriousness, I did utilize the search function a lot prior to the change, and ERR always came out on top. You're right about the subjective nature of other people's opinions, though. I try to always keep that in mind when asking a question like this. Thanks for your input!

I haven't tried HU yet, but need to. I have tried some of Watch City's blends, and enjoyed them. I think I need to revisit them!
+1 for HU Makhuwa. Absolutely love it and it’s cheap, even after shipping, from Esterval’s.

Also, C&D Burley Flake #1 is way different than Makhuwa but it’s real good too.

Architeuthis

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
I'll second ADKPiper's recommendation for C&D Kelly's Coin. If you are looking to bump up the oomph, as you say, this will do it.

Reactions: sittingbear