PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JeffC

Lurker
Jan 28, 2023
Hello all.

After a hiatus of nearly two decades I have gotten the itch again.

I am looking for a very specific style of pipe but do not know what it’s called. Specifically I enjoy the look of the rim on the bowl.

Does this look have a name that would make it easier for me to find or can you guide me to a specific link to purchase one?

I’ve included some photos I’ve found on Etsy but due to the price of $30 I question if it’s made of actual briar.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 094FA051-834E-4A9F-9F67-B55A7692B4B3.png
    094FA051-834E-4A9F-9F67-B55A7692B4B3.png
    286 KB · Views: 19
  • 3BCACA2B-CD55-404D-B367-84B442F9522A.png
    3BCACA2B-CD55-404D-B367-84B442F9522A.png
    280.6 KB · Views: 19

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
No, it does not look like it is briar 😟

I would call that shape a bent apple with a curved windshield rim. 🤔
It's not a standard shape, so I doubt if you'd find one in another make.
It looks more elegant than a Dunhill windshield. 😄

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
It doesn’t look like briar. But so what, there are several other hardwoods out there to build a pipe on. The shape has no specific name I guess, but I’ve seen similar rims, but cannot remember where. Might have been an Artisan carver.

Reactions: JeffC

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It doesn’t look like briar. But so what, there are several other hardwoods out there to build a pipe on. The shape has no specific name I guess, but I’ve seen similar rims, but cannot remember where. Might have been an Artisan carver.
There is a good reason why briar is the favoured wood used for pipes in over a century

"Might have been an Artisan carver".
For $30 ???
You are an optimist

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
There is a good reason why briar is the favoured wood used for pipes in over a century

"Might have been an Artisan carver".
For $30 ???
You are an optimist
Obviously you completely misunderstood some parts of the post.

Yes there are other woods for pipe making. Think of cobs, think of olive, think of pear, think of hookthorn tree - an acacia species - and a few others. They might be not as durable, but most things don’t last a livetime. The briarhype is much overestimated in my opinion.

I didn’t say that I’ve seen this shape for 30 dollars in the work of another carver, but there are similar shapes out there.

Reactions: kcghost and JeffC

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Obviously you completely misunderstood some parts of the post.

Yes there are other woods for pipe making. Think of cobs, think of olive, think of pear, think of hookthorn tree - an acacia species - and a few others. They might be not as durable, but most things don’t last a livetime. The briarhype is much overestimated in my opinion.

I didn’t say that I’ve seen this shape for 30 dollars in the work of another carver, but there are similar shapes out there.
My bad 😟

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
due to the price of $30 I question if it’s made of actual briar
It IS possible to find estate BRIAR pipes for around $30.
And not necessarily in a “well loved” condition

These were all around the $30 mark

A family era “fish symbol” Sasieni
F6B8E111-5EBB-40DE-AAAE-648A3A0AF3BF.jpeg

A NOS (unsmoked) Orlik Lovat
That “patch” on the heel is NOT an ugly fill - just poor photography / lighting

C448AF4C-972C-4F35-A9AA-11BE4034AD7C.jpeg

An estate French made Prince received in almost mint condition from Bruno Nuttens
FEEA3D5D-F960-4E8A-ADEA-844C415CCA84.jpeg

Yes, the Stanwell 11... I wish Stanwell had books like Dunhill with history, their interesting artists, and the pipe charts from over all of the years.

Shape names and classifications are really very fabricated. Not every shape has a name, and mostly it comes from companies marketing their shapes. We have a lot of banter about Rhodesians verses bulldogs on here, and it all just BS for the fun of it, because it's not like there is a definitive Bible to refer to.
For a shape like this, it is so specialized that it isn't going to have one like it made by every company. Stanwell is about the closest I can think of.

Reactions: JeffC and doctorbob

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ah, but how long have you known the maker or have been a customer ?
The top one was sent as a free gift with the first commission. The second two were gifted to me because the carver felt that they didn't live up to his standards. I was fully reimbursed on the meerschaum when I found a tiny chip in the chamber.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper and JeffC

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe I've heard that shape called a scoop, but those same pipes are sometimes called by the shape of the rest of the pipe, without regard to the concave brim. You have your choice I guess.