PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a few tins in my collection but I haven't gotten around to opening one in a few months until last night. I had totally forgotten how great it is. I think this is one of Peterson's best offerings quality-, taste- and, of course, strength-wise. It is one of those smokes which gets better when you get further down the bowl.
If I was en expert on taste I'd write a review - but I can't quite place the flavor of it.
Just don't smoke it on an empty stomach.

hugh

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
It tastes/smells like it's got a licorice or aniseed topping. I personally didn't like it very much, but I'm a newbie, so take my criticism for what it's worth.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Can't help but love Irish Flake.

This is one flake that continued to defeat me when loading as a flake, fold and stuff.

But then I started to cube cut the stuff, 1/8 inch squares and gravity fed.

High in nic when compared to other blends but just what this old son needs from time to time, great smoke!!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Juni, try their Irish Oak. Same family, but I sort of think of it as the the meaner older brother.
Wonderful tobacco, but by far the most substantial nic kick of anything in my collection. (Up to you if that's good or bad.)

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I rediscovered these flakes a couple of weeks ago - and let me tell you forgetting about them in the back of my "stash" was the best thing I ever did. While they smoke wonderfully straight out of the tin, six odd months aging revealed a healthy amount of bloom and a truely divine smoke. I just wish I had more than three or four flakes left. :cry:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
tslex: Irish Oak is my goto tobacco. I smoke it every day. It isn't as strong as IF but pleasantly high in nicotine as well. :lol:

hugh

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
It tastes/smells like it's got a licorice or aniseed topping. I personally didn't like it very much, but I'm a newbie, so take my criticism for what it's worth.

I'm smoking some now because of this thread, I put 3/4 tin in a mason jar a couple of months ago and have to take back anything bad I've said about IF.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
I'd agree that it is a heavy hitter in the Nic dept. I much prefer University Flake from their stable.

That said, I still regard Robert McConnell's Scottish Flake as about the best there is for my tastes.

Isn't it great though, our individual likes and dislikes can only open doors to new experiences that we can all share. :puffy:

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I really enjoy both University and Irish Flakes from Peterson. The Irish Flake has a wonderful hit of nicotine for those who enjoy that sort of thing, and a small bowl full will usually be plenty. University Flake is a little milder, but with loads of tobacco flavours. One more I would add to this list of fine flake tobaccos is Dunhill Flake which has a woodland / mushroom taste to it.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I am also a fan of Irish Flake. It's a great smoke when you want something truly strong. That reminds me, I am down to one or two flakes, I need to pick up some more.
I like Irish Oak well enoug, but only in small doses. I'll smoke it in a fairly small bowl but can never seem to finish a larger bowl of the stuff as it just gets tiresome to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.