PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RedEyeScream

Lurker
Aug 9, 2020
Sector 7-G
Hi, I’m looking for information on all of the different Stanwell lines throughout the history of the brand. I’ve exhausted all of the usual sources like pipedia and pipephil and figured my next attempt to find information would be on the pipe forums. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: highwindows

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Stanwell expanded their lines exponentially in the 1970-1980s.into a bewildering number.

There is very little information available on Pipefia and Pipephil about the grading and heirachy other than a list of their seconds.

All very confusing and frustrating

However even their seconds are well-made. They just have ordinary looking grain compared to their firsts.
The sandblasted seconds can look great

I look for Danish registration era Stanwells in the main.

Reactions: Sobrbiker
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Stanwell Dating & Pricing Information
Notes from early 1950s Stanwell catalogue:
100 – 199: Best Make200 – 299: De Luxe300 – 399: Old Briar 400 – 499: Fine Briar 700 – 799: Sandblast Extra800 – 899: Sandblast De Luxe900 – 999: Royal Tan (Tanshell blast)
Dating Information:
1) Regd. No. stamping discontinued in late 1960s to very early 1970s. This is theStanwell trade mark registration. The “48” indicates that the registration was made in1948. (info rec’d from Jorgen Grundtvig, Managing Director, Stanwell A/S)2) Block letter stamp “Silver S” used until late 1960s and then changed to script.3) Up until the early 1960s only the top pipes, e.g. “Hand Cut” had the stem/mouthpiecesstamped with the Stanwell logo of a crown over “S”. The “Hand Cut” is stamped on theshank of the pipe. The “Standard Models” may or may not be stamped with the “S” logowithout the crown.4) “Stanwell” stamp in script dates to the 1950s.5) Progression of the Stanwell logo is: “S” in white paint; crown “S” in white paint; brasscrown “S” and finally a silver crown “S”.6) “Handcut” stamped on black vulcanite stems have not been done since at least the1970s and possibly earlier. (info from J.G.).7) Currently, the only mouthpieces that have “Handcut” stamped on them are made of Cumberland rod and are used exclusively on the “Unique” line of pipes. (info from J.G.)8) Early Stanwell/Winslow pipes were stamped with a “W”. In later years this has beenchanged to a “Winslow” stamp.9) Stanwell started using acrylic for their mouthpieces in 1995 and identified the acrylicstem with a “dot” following the Stanwell crown “S” logo. This practice has beendiscontinued.10) Benni Jorgensen, father of Lasse Skovgaard, has been doing the Stanwell repairssince1995. Prior to this, they were done by Tom Eltang.
Pricing Information from early 1950s catalogue:
Straight Grain: from 90.00 DKK.Hand Cut, polished 60.00 DKK.Hand Cut, sandblast 60.00 DKK.Best Make 42.00 DKK.Extra, sandblast 42.00 DKK.Flame Grain, polished 36.00

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Stanwell Dating & Pricing Information
Notes from early 1950s Stanwell catalogue:
100 – 199: Best Make200 – 299: De Luxe300 – 399: Old Briar 400 – 499: Fine Briar 700 – 799: Sandblast Extra800 – 899: Sandblast De Luxe900 – 999: Royal Tan (Tanshell blast

Reactions: haebar

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
Hi, I’m looking for information on all of the different Stanwell lines throughout the history of the brand. I’ve exhausted all of the usual sources like pipedia and pipephil and figured my next attempt to find information would be on the pipe forums. Thank you in advance.
Hello there

I am currently in the process of updating the pipedia.org list of Stanwell shape numbers throughout its history. The original list was compiled by Basil Stevens, who knew more than anyone outside of Stanwell employees themselves about the brand, but sadly he passed away a few years ago. As Basil's list was compiled based on available information at the time, and through his contacts with other Stanwell collectors, the list was far from exhaustive. Thanks to social media and the various ways in which Stanwell pipes have been catalogued in recent years (smokingpipes.com listings, second-party ebay records, etc.), many Stanwell shapes and lines have turned up which were not on the list. Also, new lines have recently been released, including the latest pipes of the year, the Revival series, and the Favorite series, though these latter two are modified or reproduced shapes from earlier lines.

If there is a specific shape or line you are interested in, please let me know, and I will talk to the Stanwell experts and vendors I know and try to find out more information for you. For now, here is the list I have been working on revising:

Kind regards

James

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
@highwindows
Your effort and endeavour is much appreciated.
A list of the various lines and seconds as well as their grading would be most useful
Thank you. I have just added a line-specific shape variations section for this exact reason, and hope to continue to add to it when I have time (I am mainly using this project as a distraction from writing my PhD dissertation, haha).

RedEyeScream

Lurker
Aug 9, 2020
Sector 7-G
Stanwell expanded their lines exponentially in the 1970-1980s.into a bewildering number.

There is very little information available on Pipefia and Pipephil about the grading and heirachy other than a list of their seconds.

However even their seconds are well-made. They just have ordinary looking grain compared to their firsts.

Regarding the Regd number era, are they considered better than any other Danish made Stanwells? That's all I like. I'm not a fan of post-2010 Stanwell pipes. I like my Danish pipes to be Danish. I'm wondering if the Regd numbers compare for better or worse than any others.

RedEyeScream

Lurker
Aug 9, 2020
Sector 7-G
Hello there

I am currently in the process of updating the pipedia.org list of Stanwell shape numbers throughout its history. The original list was compiled by Basil Stevens, who knew more than anyone outside of Stanwell employees themselves about the brand, but sadly he passed away a few years ago. As Basil's list was compiled based on available information at the time, and through his contacts with other Stanwell collectors, the list was far from exhaustive. Thanks to social media and the various ways in which Stanwell pipes have been catalogued in recent years (smokingpipes.com listings, second-party ebay records, etc.), many Stanwell shapes and lines have turned up which were not on the list. Also, new lines have recently been released, including the latest pipes of the year, the Revival series, and the Favorite series, though these latter two are modified or reproduced shapes from earlier lines.

If there is a specific shape or line you are interested in, please let me know, and I will talk to the Stanwell experts and vendors I know and try to find out more information for you. For now, here is the list I have been working on revising:

Kind regards

James
Hi James. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply.
Hello there

Kind regards

James
Hi James. I’m sorry it’s taken so long for me to reply. I’m constantly looking at the list you’ve supplied any time I’m I see a Stanwell I’m thinking about purchasing. As far as the different Stanwell lines go I do like the Majestic. I have an 85 that is one of the most, if not THE most well balanced bent billiard I’ve ever owned. There’s so much info about Peterson pipes and their lines. I just wish I could find more info on Stanwells.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Regarding the Regd number era, are they considered better than any other Danish made Stanwells? That's all I like. I'm not a fan of post-2010 Stanwell pipes. I like my Danish pipes to be Danish. I'm wondering if the Regd numbers compare for better or worse than any others.
Stanwell stopped using Regd numbers sometime in the mid-1970s.
The increase in number of lines and appearance of seconds happened after this.

I have Danish made Stanwells withOUT the regd number (including seconds) and find little difference in the quality compared to those from the earlier era
The seconds have inferior grain, but otherwise smoke just as well as the firsts

I do not have any Italian era Stanwells, so I cannot make any comment on their quality.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stanwell may have a senior employee or retiree who acts as an informal company historian who could offer copies of records of series through the years. This might take some effort to dig out of the files and copy. The better justification you could offer by way of benefit to the company would make it more motivating to do this work for you.

I think Pipes and Cigars in Pennsylvania is under the same ownership as Stanwell and might be able to give you the name and email or address of the house historian there, again if they saw a benefit in doing so.

Reactions: orlandofurioso