PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I like Half and Half in small doses. I also get along well with SWRA. I use to really like Carter Hall, and then one day it started to just taste horrible, I could not even stomach the smell of the pouch. I have thought about giving it another go; however, really do not like the idea of having to purchase a whole 14oz tub to see if it would now taste better to me.

Reactions: MattRVA
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I like Half and Half in small doses. I also get along well with SWRA. I use to really like Carter Hall, and then one day it started to just taste horrible, I could not even stomach the smell of the pouch. I have thought about giving it another go; however, really do not like the idea of having to purchase a whole 14oz tub to see if it would now taste better to me.
P&C has a Match Carter Hall in bulk and pouches of Chatham Manor.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
If I had to buy a "codger" blend it would be Carter Hall or Borkum Riff.
Unfortunately the codger blend I would like more of was George Washington and it was discontinued back in the mid-1970s.

Reactions: Scottmi
You never hear a Virginia smoker defending Virginias, and English smokers could care less what other people think. Aromatic smokers always fell victimized by the forums... because one joke and they start rethinking their choices.
Why would a codger smoker care whether other people like their choices? It is a lot like someone who sticks with their choice of Old Milwaukee beer through the renaissance of breweries springing up everywhere. They could care less what anyone thinks. Just like what you smoke, and smoke what you like.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You never hear a Virginia smoker defending Virginias, and English smokers could care less what other people think. Aromatic smokers always fell victimized by the forums... because one joke and they start rethinking their choices.
Why would a codger smoker care whether other people like their choices? It is a lot like someone who sticks with their choice of Old Milwaukee beer through the renaissance of breweries springing up everywhere. They could care less what anyone thinks. Just like what you smoke, and smoke what you like.
Besides, don’t most tobacco threads here end up being an argument in favor of OTC blends?

No matter what the OPs ask for—asparagus-flavored latakia blends or unadulterated Virginia flakes—it seems the answers always include Granger, Half and Half, and Prince Albert.

;)

Besides, don’t most tobacco threads here end up being an argument in favor of OTC blends?

No matter what the OPs ask for—asparagus-flavored latakia blends or unadulterated Virginia flakes—it seems the answers always include Granger, Half and Half, and Prince Albert.

;)
A few years ago, it used to be like this for corn cob pipes. Someone will ask if Dunhill is a good pipe, and the thread would have 30 posts telling them to buy corn cobs. Ha ha.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
The only codger blend I've tried was Half and Half. That was my first smoke, 15 years ago. Didn't like it.

Although I generally dislike burley, I am curious to try the famous codger blends, just to have tried them.

The two which most intrigue me to try are Mixture 79 and SWRA.
This stuff is so good...might just be your gateway to codger blends!

• Haha
Reactions: SBC

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Amphora Original. SWR. If I had to live with just one OTC though, I guess it would be 5 Brothers because at least it has some Vitamin N in it.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I don't dislike any codger blends, but my favorites are LLRR and Carter Hall. It's unfortunate that Lane discontinued the Ready Rub.

Half and Half/SWRA when I want something different.

MidnightPuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2020
Ohio
I would say all of them but then I remembered I've never tried paladin. I guess velvet and granger, though that Denmark produced Captain Black has been growing on me.

Reactions: telescopes

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I have lots of favorite Codger Blends that I enjoy regularly -
Captain Black Original (White), Gold, Copper, & Royal, Half and Half & Mixture No. 79.

I keep a some other ones around for those times when I just need a change - especially Prince Albert & Carter Hall.

I have tubs of Sugar Barrel, Kentucky Club Continental Blend, & Kentucky Club Mixture stashed in my humble cellar waiting for me to try.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I don't think I can separate my personal aesthetic bias from the result, but for me codgers shine at their brightest out of a cob. From what is available, Velvet and Half & Half rise above the others for me. Granger would come in after that, all from a cob...