PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
A couple of months ago, already being a briar collector, I wondered what I, myself could
fabricate from an aubuchon. Block briar today isn't very prevalent on the open market, nor

fodder for careless experimentation.

I decided to test my skill level before any plunge. A long-time woodworking hobbyist, I had much

cherry/walnut/maple stock to play with. Original intent: eventually transfer successful models

to briar.

Curiosity prompted me to try and smoke some. Observing some caviats, they are actually pretty
good smokers.
I know I may sound like the guy that would attend a gun-club armed with a slingshot.
Yes, wood pipes wear out sooner. Yes, they need careful break-in. Many of my creations,
especially the cherrywood pokers, are elected cob stand-in duty.
I solicite commentary in this particular thread, not on my personal choices, but to wood bowls.
After having (with much admiration) viewed the works-of-art displayed at this site, I'm curious
as to the (by contrast) general opinions to the smoking of wood pipes as a casual alternative to
briar.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
My intention were to save money. Than I started enjoying the work and smoking.

I have smoke a few and have two that I like. the rest are display or given friends.

It seems that I would rather buy tobacco than pipes. Pipes do last and with 16 briar

pipes, thats a lot of smoking.

Joe2shoes

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
With some prodding, I could illustrate with a couple pics. Not to show-off, but to illustrate some examples of extensive utilization.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
The majority of my pipes are briar. However, I have one that is made of cherry wood. In a casual sense, as you state, the pipe smokes just as well if not a bit sweeter than many of my briars. One caveat, though, is that the bowl is small relative to my other pipes, therefore it does not have time to get as hot or endure as much abuse, temporally speaking, as the other pipes. Because of its size, I tend not to smoke it as much, either, which prevents me from drawing any confident conclusions as to its durability and heat resistance when compared to briar -- the reason most pipe makers select briar as their core material.
In closing, speaking entirely from experience, I would say that alternative woods have the potential to smoke just as well as briar, as I do love smoking that cherry pipe, but their resilience is the main point of contention.
I suppose one way to remedy my ignorance on this topic would be to put my cherry wood pipe as a predominant pipe in my rotation, smoke the hell out of it, and see if it cracks.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
In my journey through construction of "wooden cousins" I early-on found that special care be observed for seasoned (DRY) stock. The premature bowls do indeed crack, as well as transfer painful thermals to unwitting clutches. Got past that disaster. Pulled off the stem, the rest retired to the fireplace; ashes-to-ashes. The loss: zero cost, 2 hours labor.
I'll reiterate on careful break-in, as well. I never, never puff a mini-campfire aroma caused by improper pre-processing. I'm willing to relate pitfalls to interested parties, but as well extoll the virtues of achievement. Wifey approves my animated enthusiasm with each new creation. I do soberly imagine she sees merely another smoldering-block-of-wood projecting from my feed-hole; accompanied by a smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.