PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Probably not, but I have a feeling that this time is very much 'anything goes'.
People ignoring or making up facts that suit the chosen ideology/subculture.
The French Revolution had this and more. It was because they were so diluted and delusional that George Washington refused to aid in their cause, and left Thomas Paine to rot in a French prison. There is, unfortunately, nothing new under the sun and mankind seems to never learn from the past. c'est la vie…

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
It's always been there, but now the internet provides a supersonic network to spread insanity to insanity and enable it to hook up.
I stand by the men menstruating example as proof that this is a different kind of insanity than we have previously seen in our culture. These ideas were not tossed around and taken seriously in earlier generations. The part that really blows my mind is that actual scientific facts (the same ones we were supposed to *trust* during COVID) are ignored and even smashed in favor of this new insanity/ideology. Did the internet help spread it? Absolutely. It would have never gained the traction it has otherwise.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Great observations. For what it's worth, he's the latest hotshot guitar picker on the scene.
Unpopular opinion to many, but I just fail to see the fascination people have with him. There are players currently touring that he couldn't tote water for, yet he's become the poster boy for bluegrass guitar. I just cannot wrap my head around it. Though I think his dabble into the jam band scene helped him gain more followers. As soon as he started getting into the GD and doing those shows, it just took off from there.
But hey, different strokes

Reactions: trudger

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
It's always been there, but now the internet provides a supersonic network to spread insanity to insanity and enable it to hook up.

And with AI, it's going to get a whole lot worse, because AI can make images and video that look real to us humans, but in reality, is completely 100% digitally fabricated.

Nothing can go wrong there...

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Unpopular opinion to many, but I just fail to see the fascination people have with him. There are players currently touring that he couldn't tote water for, yet he's become the poster boy for bluegrass guitar. I just cannot wrap my head around it. Though I think his dabble into the jam band scene helped him gain more followers. As soon as he started getting in GD and doing those shows, it just took off from there.
But hey, different strokes
He certainly has talent, but I'm with you in that it does nothing for me. But then again, neither does Joe Bonamassa (sp?) and many of the other hotshot pickers. All that flashy playing bores me to tears. Give me some melody and be done with it.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The French Revolution had this and more. It was because they were so diluted and delusional that George Washington refused to aid in their cause, and left Thomas Paine to rot in a French prison.
Exactly. Jacobins with modern communications.

"Reality has become so elastic in America now that it stretches to a cosmic event horizon deep in the Twilight Zone where everything is magically transformed into its opposite." --James Howard Kunstler, May 2023

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I stand by the men menstruating example as proof that this is a different kind of insanity than we have previously seen in our culture. These ideas were not tossed around and taken seriously in earlier generations. The part that really blows my mind is that actual scientific facts (the same ones we were supposed to *trust* during COVID) are ignored and even smashed in favor of this new insanity/ideology. Did the internet help spread it? Absolutely. It would have never gained the traction it has otherwise.
Which is why verifying the info that you're hit with is more important than ever. Science isn't particularly immune to spin from some quarters who want to politicize or monetize it. So it's important to find sources that are accurate. I was lucky that family connections gave me some access to information that wasn't based on fear mongering for profit.
Unfortunately, most people accept what their friends and acquaintances tell them, and do so uncritically. I neither believe, nor disbelieve , until I've vetted something that matters to me. The rest I dismiss as clutter. It's one path toward some level of sanity.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
He certainly has talent, but I'm with you in that it does nothing for me. But then again, neither does Joe Bonamassa (sp?) and many of the other hotshot pickers. All that flashy playing bores me to tears. Give me some melody and be done with it.
Couldn't agree more. He can pick, I just don't care for his voice and music in general. I'm more into the Bryan Sutton and Chris Eldridge approach to the genre. Even Molly Tuttle
I'll give one thing to Billy- he's getting a new crowd into the old time music and that is couldn't make me happier. Traditional music needs some new meat.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My middle name is Bruce and my father’s first name was Bruce and where I grew up there were about as many men named Bruce as there were women named Geraldine, just scads of em’.

The pretty Geraldines would whisper to their sons how they must never kneel before God or Man and walk the straight and narrow way, following the Master.

We honored the name Bruce because of Robert the Bruce.

By the time my son was born in 1986 the name Bruce had been appropriated by the same folks who had appropriated the word gay.:)

So I named him Robert.

I’ve heard it argued we have no control over who we love.

They weren’t raised up Amish, Mennonite, or Scottish Christians Only.:)

Among the Amish, there is no conception of homosexuality. They are too busy living the old ways.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Which is why verifying the info that you're hit with is more important than ever. Science isn't particularly immune to spin from some quarters who want to politicize or monetize it. So it's important to find sources that are accurate. I was lucky that family connections gave me some access to information that wasn't based on fear mongering for profit.
Unfortunately, most people accept what their friends and acquaintances tell them, and do so uncritically. I neither believe, nor disbelieve , until I've vetted something that matters to me. The rest I dismiss as clutter. It's one path toward some level of sanity.
Man is it refreshing to see such sound, logical and skeptical takes on current events.
Well said sir.

Nevaditude

Can't Leave
Apr 5, 2022
Northern Nevada
The French Revolution had this and more. It was because they were so diluted and delusional that George Washington refused to aid in their cause, and left Thomas Paine to rot in a French prison. There is, unfortunately, nothing new under the sun and mankind seems to never learn from the past. c'est la vie…
Yes...THIS... Washington had a wisdom that few today possess or rather choose to use. I always presented Paine to my students as an example of one who made EVERYTHING political. He went from influential in publishing 'Common Sense' to having alienated & annoyed so many people in his life that only a half dozen attended his funeral.
THE classic hero to zero story...

I don’t use drugs, which seems to bother some of my artist friends. They’re like, “dude, but you’re art?” And, I’m like… “why is when you understand color theory, composition, and light, and you can play with what you know, someone labels you a stoner?” I mean, no one becomes more creative, smarter, or able to make better things with drugs. Jimi Hendrix was bad ass before he took drugs. The drugs didn’t make him better. They just killed him, and maybe made a generation of drug users relate.

So many times I’ve heard Picasso mist have used drugs, Shakespeare must have used drugs, Einstein must have used drugs… the one smart guy who did use cocaine was Freud, who was a genius, and used it at a time when cocaine was given to babies as a medicine and was even in soft drinks, and sold like aspirin. But, drugs don’t make someone a genius or creative. That’s a stupid idea.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Almost forgot to mention this is the same science (the COVID kind) we are supposed to trust when it comes to climate change too. Always trust "the science" - until the zeitgeist tells you not to.

Reactions: brian64 and Kobold