PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I tend to smoke the same small number of blends, but once in while I take a flier on something new to try. I remember I used to like orientals in some blends, and none that I have now currently contain orientals. On a whim, I've ordered an 8 oz can of Sunday Picnic, which appears to be basically a VaPer with an oriental leaf added. While I wait, has anyone tried this? Any opinions of it? The fact that it's available in 8 oz. tells me it likely has some degree of popularity.

Bright Orange Red

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2024
Colorado, USA
In my opinion it's pretty good. I haven't had any in a couple years but went through a phase where I smoked quite a bit of it during the summers. I found it good fresh and good with some age as well. Pretty well balanced with a little sweetness.

Reactions: --dante--

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Do you know where Mr Pease has his blending done, once he has his recipe?

I do!

I should have added I rarely favor American VaOr. I should also have added that I was not including McClelland's in my assessment because they are no longer (easily) available. Finally, I should have also added C&D Bijou because those are some very nice reds, although I have no experience with recent production and don't know if they still have access to those aged virginias.

To your point, I understand why people go apey over, say, Union Square, but blends such as Opening Night are lost on me. I suspect either different selection of virginias for Mr. Pease, or different processing.

I'll take a European Virginas or VaOr 99 times out of 100. I do have a pound or 2 of Embarcadero and Cairo saved back just because tastes change.

Reactions: --dante--

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I like SP. It's good with coffee first thing in the morning. It is ok fresh but, like many C&D blends, it does benefit from time spent in a jar. It's not an all the time smoke for me, but first thing in the morning with a cup of hot coffee I find it to be pleasant enough. It's a mild smoke, very mild.

It's not the best or even close to it. As others had pointed out, there plenty better available. You have to like C&D's virginias and orientals to enjoy it. And you'll have to deal with their "broken flake" cut, which I find annoying personally. I would have more cellared if it were available in bulk. But even still I have an 8oz can I'm working on and 2 more in the cellar.

Overall, it's a decent value given it's price¹ and availability¹. You might not get any more after this can, but I don't think you'll dump it out in disgust.

¹At American prices and availability at time of writing.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
It had too much spice and floral for me. Overall it was good and it has its followers, but floral and spice is a no go for my preferences.
Well I like Lakelands, so hopefully that will work in my favor. If not, well it won't be the first time I tried something and didn't like it. I agree that spice and floral do sound like a not-so-good combo to me.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I like SP. It's good with coffee first thing in the morning. It is ok fresh but, like many C&D blends, it does benefit from time spent in a jar. It's not an all the time smoke for me, but first thing in the morning with a cup of hot coffee I find it to be pleasant enough. It's a mild smoke, very mild.

It's not the best or even close to it. As others had pointed out, there plenty better available. You have to like C&D's virginias and orientals to enjoy it. And you'll have to deal with their "broken flake" cut, which I find annoying personally. I would have more cellared if it were available in bulk. But even still I have an 8oz can I'm working on and 2 more in the cellar.

Overall, it's a decent value given it's price¹ and availability¹. You might not get any more after this can, but I don't think you'll dump it out in disgust.

¹At American prices and availability at time of writing.
Glad to hear it. I'm not particularly finicky, so as long as it's a good general smoke, I'll probably make it through the tin eventually. If not, it wouldn't be the first tosser I've purchased.

Reactions: RookieGuy80

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I do!

I should have added I rarely favor American VaOr. I should also have added that I was not including McClelland's in my assessment because they are no longer (easily) available. Finally, I should have also added C&D Bijou because those are some very nice reds, although I have no experience with recent production and don't know if they still have access to those aged virginias.

To your point, I understand why people go apey over, say, Union Square, but blends such as Opening Night are lost on me. I suspect either different selection of virginias for Mr. Pease, or different processing.

I'll take a European Virginas or VaOr 99 times out of 100. I do have a pound or 2 of Embarcadero and Cairo saved back just because tastes change.
As far as I know, from May of last year BiJou's aged VA is still used but dwindling maybe another year left from this May I get three tins with every order just to be on the safe side , I see myself smoking that one to the Grave.