PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
"I think we smoked out the lawyer."
Nope. Retired journalist and advertising designer/copywriter, who had to take numerous classes on copyright, trademarks and plagiarism.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
This whole controversy could have been avoided if, as Zack said, "Scotto" had the courtesy to, in some way, credit "Scottie" 's work as his inspiration.
I'd say there is a pretty good chance Scotto did not even realize he was "copying" a style, and if he did, he didn't realize that he had crossed some invisible line. All one needed to do was look a little farther back on his Facebook feed to realize that he is likely not American born and there may be a language barrier as well as a cultural one.
Does a pipemaker need to make it clear who he has taken inspiration from, and to make sure the pioneer of the style gets credit for inventing it?
If you are trying to develop your own line of stainless reinforced, pencil shank pipes, then I think credit to the pioneer of that design would be appropriate. Making a one time random pipe that is similar but has never been made by the carver before... might be a little stretch to say there is a requirement.
I really doubt Scottie Piersel will lose a sale because of this pipe that Scotto is selling--I suspect they are totally different markets and that no one in the market for a Scottie will be confused by a Scotto, but again, what do I know
I would say that is an accurate statement. I own 8 of Scottie's pipe... I'm one of her biggest fans. Not once did it appear to me that Scotto was trying to make bank off of Scottie's design or her brand. Guess my imagination doesn't stretch that far.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
...and I think this horse has been beaten, is certainly dead, and the remains thrown off a cliff for the buzzards to fight over...closing it down..

Status
Not open for further replies.