PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I find the 4th to be a good time for reflection...especially since the turn of the century. I found these images serve that purpose rather well. Thought I’d share.
United States of decay: Images of a forgotten America and the ruins of the 20th century left abandoned across New York and other north eastern states
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2354175/United-States-decay-Images-forgotten-America-ruins-20th-century-left-abandoned-New-York-north-eastern-states.html

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It seems like such a waste in terms of human effort and this country's resources;

but I guess walking away makes more economic sense when maintenance becomes too costly.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
Quite frankly, I think the Federal Government should seize all of it, especially the residences, and homestead them out just like they did during westward expansion.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing. I always loved old/abandoned buildings and wanted to do a photo project like this...someday.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
What I like about it is that it's about abandoned american buildings on an english site.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The lost opulence of the 20's...some of those I recognize as from Detroit. Damn shame.
Yes...Detroit definitely has many of the worst such examples, unfortunately. No surprise considering the extent of de-industrialization that has occurred.
Detroit in ruins
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2011/jan/02/photography-detroit
It seems like such a waste in terms of human effort and this country's resources;

but I guess walking away makes more economic sense when maintenance becomes too costly.
True. It is the much larger issue of decaying infrastructure all over the country that is worrisome...bridges that have collapsed, etc. Not to mention aging nuke plants.
Eerie, sad and somewhat lovely

I always loved old/abandoned buildings and wanted to do a photo project like this...someday.
I too find a compelling, odd sort of beauty/nostalgia/fascination with these sort of photos.
What I like about it is that it's about abandoned american buildings on an english site.
Yes, I thought of the irony in that as well.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Quite frankly, I think the Federal Government should seize all of it, especially the residences, and homestead them out just like they did during westward expansion.
The problem with this idea is how inefficient and wasteful the Gov'mt is when they attempt almost anythings. I think they should "gift" these places to a few super smart entrepreneurs and get out of the way.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/100-captivating-examples-of-urban-decay-photography/
Gone but not forgotten

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some of those are distrurbing, all haunting. Where is the Buffalo Station in NYC?
How would you like to have this chair in your smoking room? You could turn the skull cap into a neat reading lamp and imagine the horrors it inflicted...
article-0-1A9F1885000005DC-281_964x665.jpg

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
"Eerie, sad and somewhat lovely."
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Does anyone know why the Buffalo railway station was apparently abandoned? I remember, as a kid, arriving there to be greeted by the buffalo statue, after my parents had put me on the Empire State Express from Cleveland.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@zonomo: +1
@Teddy: Great pics...thanks for the link.
@Al and 4dot: I don’t know anything about Buffalo Station in NY. Would be interesting if anyone knows about it.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I grew up in rural Western New York. There were plenty of old farms you could buy just for the back taxes. Probably still are.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Let's not forget some of the people:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356524/Faces-American-revolution-Amazing-early-photographs-document-heroes-War-Independence-later-years.html

Status
Not open for further replies.